Thread: Water Temperature... too Cold?

Question Water Temperature... too Cold?

I let my shop drop down to 45 degrees F at night. I also have a very light mixture of anti-freeze just in case the heat fails. Can too cold a water effect the output power of the CO2 glass tube?
    I can add a electric heater if so.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

That is what I like my water to be at all the time if possible. You don't wan't it do freeze or condense on the tube, but keep the water cool with give you more power, and increase the life span of the laser tube. I am assuming you have china branded laser, or water cooled.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

DC excited lasers work best at sub zero temperatures (lots into the sub zero range) the problem becomes condense rather than temperatures, in general the colder the better for DC tubes, although last time I posted this on another forum the users went looking for chillers that will hold -20 based on the best temp, not the best *practical* temp so I'm a bit more careful these days

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

might be a dumb question: does a DC laser fire THRU the water, or AROUND it?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

From what I can see its just a water jacket surrounding.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

So would a cold air intake directed at the cooling fins help an aircooled tube?
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    might be a dumb question: does a DC laser fire THRU the water, or AROUND it?

just a jacket Kev, it cools the gas reserve more than the actual lasing tube, the main part is used to cool the mirrors and output coupler (lens)

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pabia View Post
    So would a cold air intake directed at the cooling fins help an aircooled tube?
    In some ways yes if you can keep it stable Neil, but to be honest an aircon unit wouldn't provide a stable temperature, lasing is all about stability to get the best from a tube, hot or cold *spots* can do irreparable damage if a DC or Air unit can be kept to +/- 1 degree you will get excellent results.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !