Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kreg Jig 3 - anyone?

Kreg Jig 3 - anyone?

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht...?PRODUCT_ID=10

I will most likely pick this up when available.

I think Kreg2 will be going cheap now...I may unload mine but it sure has been a workhorse for me going on 5 years now!

Comments/thoughts?

Chris
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Looks good brother. But I have a PC cutter, so----

it's tempting, chris! lots of new features like the dust collection, the plunger on the front and a COOL new look, but after drilling a bunch of pocket holes yesterday for the 11 face frames of my future kitchen cabinets, i realized that the new kreg jig is still at heart a MANUAL jig. i really don't want the shop vac running all the time and i think the rear plunger design is adequate.

if i ever get into professional cabinetry, i'd go for the panel boring machine that they sell. i'll hold on to my humble k2000 for now!

I was getting ready to buy the K2 about a month ago, then went to the Kreg site to get some more info on the jig and they announced the K3.... Been waiting ever since. I especially like the chip collection and the indents for different thickness woods. I suppose they are on time to release it later in the month... at least I hope so.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Comments/thoughts?

Chris
    Probably going to wait awhile. I was at CB Tool and they have no idea when they will be available.

Could it be they want to build to demand - hmmm?
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

All of the new features look to be useful, but not enough for me to upgrade my jig.

No, I don't think so, I have had the Kreg 200 Pro Pak for 6 months or less. I don't see that much worth updating for. I don't have a problem with the back clamping mechanism. I know it looks cool, but I really wonder how many people will hook up the DC or shop vac to it. I will have to live with this one for a few years

Corey

My kreg rep saw one last week and was very excited about it. But then again he is a rep.

I have some on order and should have them in a couple of weeks, I'll check it out and report back.

I got to play with one last week, when my Kreg rep brought in a prototype (prototype only in that theyre working on the case). This is really an improvement. The vacuum attachment really worked well, and had a good feel when drilling. The drill guide block is really easy to move from benchtop base to use with the portable base. The front side clamp made it easy to clamp the work piece. Only thing I didn't like was that he had to take it with him when he left. He said they should be out next month, with the upgrade kit for the k2000pp to follow about a month or so later.

Quote Originally Posted by David Tucker
    He said they should be out next month, with the upgrade kit for the k2000pp to follow about a month or so later.
    I called KREG and they indicated the K2000 will not be upgradeable. The lady I talked to indicated the basic K3 will be upgradeable but not the K2000.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Strait
    I called KREG and they indicated the K2000 will not be upgradeable. The lady I talked to indicated the basic K3 will be upgradeable but not the K2000.

John

Did they indicate when the K3 would be available?

Sorry, I did not ask when the K3 would be available.

john

Bummer, since I do not own a pocket hole jig, I am thinking that I should wait for it. If someone already owns the K2000 then I am not sure that it would make sense to upgrade.

Michael,

You should see the K3 on the shelves in about 2-3 weeks.

I like my Kreg Pro pack, (or whatever its called). The dust collection on the new version is "nice" but I don't think that it is a huge improvement in what I have now. When I am cutting pocket holes, I keep the shop vac nearby, clean up ever so often and continue cutting pocket holes.

The purpose of the jig is to cut pocket holes. My jig does that, the next generation jig does that and one after that will do that. The only time I could conceive of upgrading would be if the brass in the drill guides would get damaged or bored out to much from the drill bit.

Joe