Thread: Norton India Bench Stones...

Norton India Bench Stones...

I recently purchased a Norton India Bench Stone (Fine) from Rockler. Did I need another stone? Of course not. However...since I so want to be like David Weaver when I grow up...

Well...you know...

Anyway, I only paid $9.99.

Question...How do I flatten this thing. Sandpaper on glass? I'm not really keen on using a diamond plate on it.

Also...what should I use for a lubricant? Can I use water? Just any old light oil? (OK...I don't really mean "old" oil.)

Thanks.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Sidewalk, maybe. I never loved using sandpaper on them, they are HARD on sandpaper. If you can find something coarse enough, like a concrete block, that might not be a bad thing to use. Concrete blocks and bricks have silica in them, anyway, and are somewhat like a very poorly graded natural stone.

You shouldn't have to do much to it if you use the whole surface, you might try just using it as it is and see how it works - if you're not sure it's flat, then make sure the end of any chisel or plane blade that you're honing the back on spends a fair amount of time overhanging the stone.

I've always graded mine with a DMT 220 bench stone, but they blew out the surface of that thing pretty quickly - it's a slow cutter now and looks pretty bad.

3. Wet and dry sandpaper with water on a flat surface i.e. a piece of float glass. The stones are very hard on the sandpaper so I just sprinkle on a bit of silicon carbide powder on every time i stops cutting. Grit 120 works for me. However the india stone won't be as aggressive as when you purchased it.

Light mineral oil, by the way.

Thanks guys. I think I am just going to try it as is and see how it goes.

I am only looking to use it on the rare occasions when I see to sharpen something in the dead of winter.

I also have a pair of spydercos. Do they need any type of lubricant?
    I am never wrong.

Spydercos don't need anything (they intend for you to use them dry and then later scrub off the swarf). If you want to use them with something, use them with water.

Harold,
    I use my concrete driveway to resurface oil stones. Works well for me. Are you getting cabin fever already?
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

FWIW, I have a coarse/fine India stone that is about 20yrs old - a hand me down. It hadn't been used much but was filthy and nearly black all over. I flattened it on a concrete block and like others have said it didn't cut well at all. I boiled it for a good 30 mins - changed the water and boiled again (the oil and crud came out of it...lots) then dropped it in a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and mineral oil to soak for a day. The oil mix took on an orange hue telling me that more "dust" came out. It cut very aggresively after that. Now after a good amount of use when it loses some bite, I have a cheap flimsy diamond knife sharpener that I use to lightly abrade it and it is back to "cleaned" aggressiveness. If you try boiling, I suggest not subjecting the stone to sudden temp changes.

William

I'm wondering if some of these stones may not be india stones at all and possibly another man-made stone such as a crystalon, that will dish much easier than an india. David: your thoughts??
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Crystolon will always be black or gray, so if a stone is brick colored or white, it's always aluminum oxide of some type.

I'm not sure if India is a brand name for a vitrified type of stone, it may be, but there are definitely brown and red aluminum oxide stones from the old days that are not that hard. I have one that I got from an antique store that has a very greasy feel when you put oil to it, and it releases its binder slowly - it feels like a natural stone, but it's harder and slower wearing than waterstones.

So there are definitely al-ox stones out there that have the brown or red color of an india stone but that are soft.

I've also got one bizarre india/washita (this one being norton) where the india side of the stone is fairly friable - to the point that I don't use it. It self slurries. Most of the india stones when they get old become extremely hard, but even the newest norton branded stones don't slurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    Are you getting cabin fever already?
    My cabin fever usually starts around Oct. 1st.
    I am never wrong.