Thread: Jewelry Box 2

Jewelry Box 2

This is the second veneered jewelry box Christmas present I made this fall. This one is amboyna burl with cocobolo trim. The interior is anigre and curly maple stained to get a closer color match. The finish is shellac (french polish). I took a fair amount of inspiration for this project from a couple of boxes that Roger Bean has posted over at Lumberjocks.

Ambonia Side.jpgAmbonia Front.jpgAmbonia Open Side.jpgAmbonia Top.jpg
    Dan

Beautiful work, Daniel!

Very nice, I think I like jewelry box 1 the best, I just like the color contrast of the wood in it,
    This one is beautiful but I like the other one a little better.

I like both boxes, but this one best.

Looks old.

Amazing work, actually.

Absolutely gorgeous! How did you bend the trim to fit the curved top?

Great work Daniel!!!!!, and I was going to ask pretty much the same thing that John asked, where did you learn the technique to build the top part of the box? Truly inspiring stuff that you've shared, how cool!
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Thanks for the comments. The curved top was inspired by a walnut burl box that Roger Bean posted over at Lumberjocks. That gave me the idea that it could be done. Veneering a curved form was something that I learned in a class at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking. For the trim, I basically just extended the techniques used to do the straight trim to the curve. Granted, I had to figure it out as I went, but it worked out in the end. The curved trim pieces aren't bent, but they are cut out as an arc. I traced the curve on a piece of MDF, made a pattern then pattern routed oversized arcs. Once glued in place, a flush trim bit got them to the final size. Looking back at it, I wonder if a bandsaw and a spindle sander wouldn't have done just as well and with considerably less waste. I'll have to try that on another project.
    Dan

Those are beautiful boxes that will be cherished always.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    I like both boxes, this one the best. The dark wood speaks to me.