Thread: Quick Question on Laser Setup Location

Quick Question on Laser Setup Location

Can a laser go in a shop setting with ambient sawdust, etc. or does it need to be in a "clean room"?

I have dust collector hooked up to planer and jointer but lathe, tablesaw, drill press etc are cleaned up afterwards. Also have ceiling hung air cleaner.

Sawdust won't bother a laser, but like any tool you'll want to keep it clean(sih)
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

i would prefer to have my laser in a clean environment. It is adjacent to my wood shop but in a separate room. I'm not doing a lot of wood working but I would rather not have it next to dust producing equipment.

I agree that dust won't harm the machine but it can and will contaminate your rails and bearings making for less than perfect engraving.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I agree with Mike. The laser gets dirty enough just doing the work it does. It doesn't need the added dust and particles created by all the woodworking tools, if you can't put it in a separate room maybe you could hang some plastic sheeting from the ceiling around it to protect it from all that dust. Just a thought.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If you get dust on the mirrors, the laser beam will not be reflected at those places and the energy that is absorbed will become heat. You really don't want hot spots on your mirrors.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I think it's a very bad idea as is, but you can make it work. When you run the exhaust on the laser it's going to draw in the air from the shop that has the "ambient sawdust" that you mention. If, instead, you either filter the air going into the laser or bring it in from outside (still filtered) then you should avoid most of the dust problems inside the laser. Then all you have to worry about is dust outside the laser and that's easily done with plastic, tarps, etc. I'm fortunate that I have my entire garage for woodworking and have my lasers and UV printer inside the house where they are climate controlled and in a pretty clean environment - not everyone has that luxury though.

My laser has been located in a wood shop for most of its life and hasn't had any problems. I clean it every time I use it and keep it covered when its not in use.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Blog Entries
    My laser shares the same shop as my wood lathe, metal lathe, CNC machine, bandsaw, and drill press (among other tools). That said, the bandsaw is surrounded by plastic sheeting hanging from the ceiling, creating a mini room... when the DC is running, it creates a partial vacuum in the area, which means only clean air can come in and all dust MUST pass through the DC. The laser is also covered by a plastic sheet, and I do not run the laser while woodworking (for obvious safety reasons) or within a certain time frame after woodworking to give my ambient air cleaner time to do its job.

It's quite doable, you simply need to be cognizant of what else is going on around it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Similar to Dan, my laser used to share a room with a CNC router, belt sander, and many other high dust machines.
    If I didn't use an air compressor twice daily to clean it, I would of almost lost it under all the dust.
    I have since moved it into the front office, which is noisy, and quite annoying when I'm doing bookwork or speaking with customers etc.

However, I do prefer that option over constantly cleaning the dust from it.
    For those of you who have seen the new movie Interstellar, compare my shed to the state of the world at that point. Constant flow of dust.
    Epilog Fusion 40 (60w)
    CAMaster CNC Router.
    Flame Polisher
    Range of sanders
    Drill Press
    Table Saw