Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helix cutter head

Helix cutter head

Hi,

I am asking for the the helix cutterhead for my DeWalt 735 for Christmas.

On Amazon, they have one from Byrd Tool for about $435; and another by Grizzly for $100 less it says made in America.

Anyone have any advice? If there is going to be an issue for occasional use, I would just as soon go ahead and spend a little extra.

It supposed to be a lot quieter, also looks like the blade changes may be cheaper.

Thanks!

I think Holbren is blowing the Byrds out right now for $375 shipped. Check it out on WN.

What's WN?

Holbren website shows the Shelix for DW735 at $410.

I've never seen a Grizzly branded segmented cutter for that Dewalt. Grizzly does sell Byrd Shelix heads though just like Holbren.

I've had these on my radar as well and been checking prices regularly during the holiday time.

I'd be a buyer of the Byrd head over the Grizzly (in fairness, i never used the Griz), though i did buy my Byrd from Grizzly's web site using a 10% off coupon last summer. Grizzly is asking $430 for the Byrd for the DW 735 right now. Bryan (or Brian?) at Holbren does a great job with service for a small retailer and is a fair guy to deal with. If you can wait until whenever Grizzly does another 10% off coupon (and if prices don't rise between now and then), you might save a few dollars. Since i put mine on and have used it--i'd not be patient enought to wait if i had to do it again, i'd just do it.

I believe WN might be WoodNet. Can't say for sure.

I like mine. Good luck.
    earl

Earl....so why is it fair to make that statement if you have never used one?

I have a Grizzly jointer with their spiral head on it. It has worked well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Give Brian, at Holbren a call. He has excess inventory of Byrd heads for the DW735 for $375, delivered. Bearings are already pressed on. That's the cheapest I've ever seen them.
    And yes, WN is Woodnet. Another woodworking forum. Brian posts there as well.

Anyone know which head uses the most inserts? Would seem to me to be a factor in the decision. Even if the finish is similar, more inserts should last longer. Dave

Sorry, WN=Woodnet. I didnt know if it would violate the rules to mention another forum.

I think you just did...

Earl - I have the Byrd head in my DW735 and a Grizzly head in my Grizzly 8" jointer. Subjectively, the surface the jointer leaves is better (flatter across the width) than the planer and requires less additional work to get it ready for finish. That isn't saying that the Byrd head leaves a bad surface - it is quite good. Just that the jointer's head leaves a surface that is a bit better.

David - I can't see where Grizzly offers their own head for that planer. Amazon is probably showing you a head for a different machine. But the Byrd head for a DW735 is worth it - mine has paid for itself in 3 years just through savings on knife changes.

Sorry Ken, meant no offense. Perhaps i should have said that "I chose to be a buyer of the Byrd". My experience with it has been excellent, i'm glad you are pleased with yours as well.

Edit to add--while changing the head went well, i have to say that it was frightening to me to think that i could destroy my planer, the head or both. Given a choice, buying a planer with the helical head installed already would have created a LOT less stress. (i'm glad i had the experience now!!) Further down the thread, Mark Kendall offers his experience between the Grizzly and Byrd on different machines. I've got to agree with him that there is some long term return on knife replacement. I think my straight knives, when brand new, left a little better finish--but that didn't last long. I've probably run 1000 bf across the carbide inserts without rotating and i can't tell that the cut has dropped in quality. I'm sure it has, but i just can't tell.

earl
    Last edited by Earl McLain; 12-11-2014 at 7:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kornell View Post
    I think you just did...
    Because it was mentioned twice already. Do you have anything constructive to add to the thread?

Correction

This AM, I went back to Amazon, and noticed that the much cheaper Grizzly model was for a 6 inch planer. Geez, glad I did not order that one.

I have never heard anything bad about Grizzly.

It's just so often the case that you get what you pay for-in this case would have been a 6 inch head instead of 13.

I put in my request just now for the cutter head, with information about Brian @ Holbren for $375. Amazon is $438

glad you found out now and not when a 6" cutter head showed up at your doorstep!

I hope Brian has some left.

Shelix change pitfalls?

QUOTE=Earl McLain;2345613]
    Edit to add--while changing the head went well, i have to say that it was frightening to me to think that i could destroy my planer, the head or both. Given a choice, buying a planer with the helical head installed already would have created a LOT less stress. (i'm glad i had the experience now!!) Further down the thread, Mark Kendall offers his experience between the Grizzly and Byrd on different machines. I've got to agree with him that there is some long term return on knife replacement. I think my straight knives, when brand new, left a little better finish--but that didn't last long. I've probably run 1000 bf across the carbide inserts without rotating and i can't tell that the cut has dropped in quality. I'm sure it has, but i just can't tell.

earl[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how to go about this....it is not just a simple change out?

Can you direct to where I can proper technical information about how to change it out?

(Also, my 8" Jet jointer has a tendency to give rippled surface. I just slow way down, and am too lazy to sharpen or change the blades. I guess the Shelix head is available for my jointer too....)