Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helix cutter head

There are youtube videos showing the head swap for the dw735. It's not simple and requires a fair amount of disassembly. But many owners have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Sorry, WN=Woodnet. I didnt know if it would violate the rules to mention another forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kornell View Post
    I think you just did...
    Guys....you can mention other forums....I mention OWWM all the time when referring people there for advice on old wood working machines....You just cannot LINK to other forums.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Byrd has an excellent write-up on their web site, step-by-step for the 735. Disassembly is pretty straight forward, and re assembly was not bad. The fear for me came in driving the head and bearings out and driving the new one in--new territory for me. Mine came with new bearings attached so i didn't have to press them on, might want to ask that question of Brian on his on-hand stock. I did check with a local bearing shop before starting and they had replacements in stock in case i boogered the bearings making the swap, but didn't need to buy them. I also thought real hard about calling one of several people who could have helped, but decided to save that for the second attempt if i needed it.

No matter what helical head you buy, the inserts are very sharp--if you cut a finger you might not know right away so having some cleaning supplies handy might be helpful.
    earl

I haven't done it to my DW735, but have been contemplating doing so. Doesn't seem too difficult, if you follow the instructions. As others have said, there are videos on youtube, which I've watched. Also, here's step by step illustrated instructions.
    http://www.holbren.com/misc/DW735.pdf

Mark--since you have 2 different makes in your shop, if you were doing it again would you prefer that they shared the same inserts? I've broken 2 (my fault, not the cutter's fault) so i see the wisdom of keeping a few spares on hand, just wondering. It's not like they take up a lot of floor space. This whole thread has me thinking about the head on G1182Z jointer. Adding either Byrd or Grizzly head would be nice--but it would cost 1/4 of a brand new G0490X. Selling the 6" gets another 1/4...working on the sales pitch for next year!!
    earl

Thanks for that link. Haven't look at the YOutube video yet.
    Seems pretty straightforward.
    You don't need to force the bearings on or need a bearing puller (whatever the tool is that pulls the collar)?

As popular as the Byrd heads are for the DW735, you'd think Dewalt would get a clue and just sell versions with them already installed.

You can buy the Byrd head with the bearings already pressed on. Holbren sells them that ways, as other vendors probably do to. I suggest you go that direction. Less hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Thanks for that link. Haven't look at the YOutube video yet.
    Seems pretty straightforward.
    You don't need to force the bearings on or need a bearing puller (whatever the tool is that pulls the collar)?

I've had a Byrd in my DW735 for several years.
    Byrd supplies installation instructions.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have plenty of the cutterheads for the DW735 in stock for $419. Put that together with the 5% off coupon (SMC1114) for sawmill creek visitors you are down to under $400 with free shipping.
    Scott
    Scott Loven

Earl - there might be some value in having heads that use the same cutters, but probably not a lot. In the 3 years I've had the heads in the machines, I've only needed to replace 2 inserts in the DeWalt. Jointer, none. They are relatively cheap, not that big of a deal to have 5 or 10 of each on hand.

I agree that the original head with new knives in the DeWalt left a great surface. It started to degrade after about 10 bf, though.

Re: the better surface from the jointer - could be I need to rotate a few inserts in the planer. Usually only do that when there's an obvious nick, just haven't had one in a while.

I found the install for both heads to be pretty straightforward. Instruction sets for both were very clear and easy to follow.

After I cut myself just by taking one of the heads out of the box, I decided to simply remove all inserts before proceeding. That made handling much less hazardous, plus it allowed me to clean the machining oil off the head easily, make sure each seat did not have any debris and properly torque each insert. Take an extra 15 minutes, but I'd recommend it.

After I cut myself just by taking one of the heads out of the box, I decided to simply remove all inserts before proceeding. That made handling much less hazardous, plus it allowed me to clean the machining oil off the head easily, make sure each seat did not have any debris and properly torque each insert. Take an extra 15 minutes, but I'd recommend it.
    Does the product tech info specify how much torque?

Dan@ Holbren responded via email. Says the DW 735 insert comes with bearings installed. For the Jet 8", its an extra $36 for new bearing, installed.

Am not sure about a price from Holbren yet. I will find out today.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Does the product tech info specify how much torque?
    50-55 in-lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench get one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-d...nch-61277.html. I had to take all of my inserts off after I installed it because I was getting and un even surface. After thoroughly cleaning the head and inserts all was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    50-55 in-lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench get one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-d...nch-61277.html. I had to take all of my inserts off after I installed it because I was getting and un even surface. After thoroughly cleaning the head and inserts all was good.
    That's whats so cool about HF. I just found that tool that have only used one time before. Of course, If I was using it all the time, it would be a SnapOn, Mac, etc.

Shelix set up?

I found the install for both heads to be pretty straightforward. Instruction sets for both were very clear and easy to follow.

Mark-Santa brought the head (DW 735) from Holbren. Came with bearings. Install seems pretty straightforward from PDF from this thread.

For clarity-Am I supposed to take off each carbide insert, clean off all the grease, and reinstall @ proper torque?

The rate I do unfamiliar things, will take hours...

Thanks