Thread: DeWalt 734 with Accuhead

DeWalt 734 with Accuhead

I finally got sick of the tear out I was getting with my 734 planer. Even with new blades installed I really had to take light passes to keep from tearing out the grain on any thing that wasn't straight grained. Hard maple would tear up a new set of blades after only running a few boards through the planer. I have a Grizzly segmented cutter head in my jointer, so I knew the straight set blades give a really clean tear out free cut.

I decided to try out the Accuhead since I'm cheap and didn't want to spend the extra money on a Byrd head. UPS delivered it this afternoon, so I couldn't wait to get it installed. It only took thirty minutes to install it in the planer. It took more time to clean and reinstall the cutter bits after the planer was put back together. Here it is installed in the planer.
    IMG_0258.JPG

This is a piece of oak planed with the straight blades in the planer. Notice the tear out. This was really common with the straight blades even when watching the grain direction.
    IMG_0255.JPG
    After one pass with the new cutter head installed.
    IMG_0256.JPG
    Huge difference in the cut. It really cuts cleanly. The head only has 25 cutters but boy does it really work good. If you have reservations about the number of cutters, it is unfounded. The cutters that came with the head are high speed steel, time will tell how long they last. When they wear out I will replace them with carbide. On the plus side the planer cuts a little quieter too. I think it is gonna be a good investment.

I have the same planer - you state 30 minutes to swap out the heads? Any pics/write up of the process?

I'm also interested as I'm tired of those expensive toss away blades that give unsatisfactory cuts.

Blog Entries
    I have the same planer. I've run qswo, cherry, straight grain fir, and figured maple (both hard and soft) through it and suffered no tear out with the blades that came with it.
    Go figure.

What is an Accuhead?
    I'm not taking exception with this thread, just puzzled.

Lowell,

Accu-Heads are segmented cutter heads made by Steel City Tool Works and used in their planers and jointers. They make heads to fit a bunch of lunchbox planers from other manufacturers (Delta, Dewalt, Ryobi, Ridgid).

The instructions to switch out the head are on Byrd's website. I used their instructions to switch out the head. It is really easy to switch on the 734. Lowell, you must be really lucky, as I always had some tear out with the planer.

Blog Entries
    I may have to look into it if the problem crops up. I always take thin cuts because of using a Delta for many years.

That may have something to do with it. If a problem crops up with maple, a water mist on the wood takes care of it.

I appreciate the info.

I just bought a new set of replacement blades for my 734. ...
    Th Accu-Head looks like a good alternative to the stock DeWalt blades.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have the same planer. I've run qswo, cherry, straight grain fir, and figured maple (both hard and soft) through it and suffered no tear out with the blades that came with it.
    Go figure.

What is an Accuhead?
    I'm not taking exception with this thread, just puzzled.
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I ran my 734 for years and only got tearout on highly figured material. that being said, I did go to a spiral head when I upgraded to a floor model. Glad the head is working well for you; that's what really matters. I have trouble with things that others don't and vice-versa. We all need to make changes that make things work better for us regardless of how something may work for someone else. I will be anxious to hear how the edge retention is on the cutters. I forget if you get 4 sides or 2 sides on those but, either way it's better than one ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Curious what you paid for it. I cant find it on there website?

Blog Entries
    I tend to take light cuts when running the planer. I seldom take more than 1/16", often when I'm getting close 1/32".

Do you fellows that have the tear out issue take bigger cuts? If so, I wonder if that could be part of the difference.

I never move the handle more than one half turn, so the max I take is 1/32"

I have a DW733 and can't plane more than one full turn of the handle which equates to 1/16". Anything more and the plastic face makes contact with the lumber as it starts and the wood can't go further. More often than not, I am planing full width boards.