Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy firmer chisels

1. Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Early WM Marples Firmer Chisels with the boxwood handles are the pick of the bunch for steel quality. IMO

I purchased 2 full sets a few years ago and have never regretted the investment.
    Thanks Stewie. Early as in octagonal bolster?

My 1 ½ was a boxwood handled with round bolster, and took a very keen edge that hold up nicely.

Here's the set I dedicated for workshop use. The other set is I packed away in storage.

3. Very nice. I think I will try and get a set together.

I agree that Barr Quarton's tools are amazing, but wanted to add something about John Neeman. I don't know the story, but don't think that John Neeman is associated with the company that still uses his name. He now makes his tools and sells them under the Autine name.

http://www.autinetools.com/en

Both companies seem to sell many of the same tools, but the ones John sells under the Autine name seem to be less expensive.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffer Frederiksen View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have taken a look at the Barr tools now and I really consider splashing out for the 1 ½.

Can anyone comment on the steel on the Henry Taylor socket chisel as well as Crown tools and Sorby firmers?
    I've bought a set of henry tailors and like them (3/4, 1 and 1 1/2). They hold a good edge. I've been doing restoration on old buildings so the wood (fir and oak) are pretty dirty and they hold up well all the same. They were hard to get hold of however, had to go direct to the factory. But for me that was easy as I was living in Sheffield at the time.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!