Thread: Cnc

Cnc

Good morning all some advice needed I am looking to buy a CNC to make small stainless steel parts the steel would be 3mm thick max and about 25mm round what spindle power would I need and could anyone suggest a machine thanks Frank

Frank,

I would suggest a CNC Plasma machine for your application.

You said they are "round"? Are these lathe parts? Or coin shaped, hmmm, maybe coin shaped since you stated a thickness.

If flat parts, I would suggest you start searching for a small used cnc mill.

hi sorry i should have explained a little better many of them would be pendants but not all of them would be round if you like to cut out the map of Ireland as a pendant or some Celtic designs they would be 25 to 30 mm I had the taught a cnc should be able to cut them with a very small cutter cheers Frank

A plasma cutter would be the way to go. A CNC router is great at cutting wood, plastics, and to a lesser degree non-ferrous metals like aluminum and brass. They are not milling machines. They are not stiff enough and the spindle RPM/torque range is not suited to machining steel. Sorry, but you will be disappointed.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If all you need are outlines and through holes, agree that plasma is the way to go --- might want to look into a laser, but I believe that steel wants one out the range of a typical hobbyist or even small shop setup (I'd love to be wrong)

To cut steel in 2.5/3D (a relief on the surface) you'd want a "real" milling machine (or a converted mill). While people do use a CNC router to cut steel, it's rough on the machine and the tooling, and 'cause of the short tool life, can't be done profitably.

thank you to all of you for your reply's its great to have people with so much experience to ask
    I will try to sub out that work I guess I have a laser and am trying to justify getting a CNC
    thanks again
    cheers Frank

Frank - you cal it CNC - but that is not a machine - it is a process.

The machine are routers, lathes, mills, and others. The machines are controlled via CNC ( Computer Numerical Control).

Even the Lasers and plasma machines "can" be controlled via CNC

Hi Leo
    I do understand that I had hoped to get a CNC router with a powerful spindle in that way I hoped i could do wood and light stainless steel but I think looking at the reply's above that is not an option cheers Frank