Thread: Double bevel on a japanese hand plane blade?

Double bevel on a japanese hand plane blade?

Hi,

First the disclosure. I still don't have my japanese plane, but one day will show up in the mail.

I like to work with Maple and sometimes is difficult to plane, unless make a very fine shaving. I decided to try double bevel on a old 5 ½ Jack Plane.
    I don't have a guide or book that tells me what would it be the right angle. I just did what I thought is right so this is what I did. I sharped the blade to a 40 degree secondary bevel and 5 degree back bevel.

It is working fine so far and I don't have tear outs.

I wonder if that is possible on a japanese plane or the nature of top iron and hard steel back makes a not so good idea. Why? I don't know just asking

Another disclosure. As you can see English is not my first language. I have problems with "in" , "on", "at", in spanish we have only one word for those 3 and it correspond to "in". So if you read something and it doesn't make completely sense remember this

You can put a back bevel on a japanese plane blade. I wouldn't put any secondary bevel on that limits clearance to less than 10 degrees. On a standard bedding for a japanese plane, you'll already be there, anyway - if you want to microbevel the blade at all, i would make it very gradual, and lean more on the back bevel to provide bevel strength if you need it, and tearout protection if you need it (though I'd rather use the cap iron for the latter, anyway...if your plane has no pin and no cap iron, though, then the back bevel is what you'll have to do.)

Blog Entries
    Another disclosure. As you can see English is not my first language. I have problems with
    Don't worry about this Fidel. English is my first language and I, like so many other English as a first language folks, still have trouble with it.

We have words like effect and affect. One is a noun and one is a verb. (effect is the noun) My way to remember is the alphabetical order is the opposite of the order of noun and verb. The trouble is trying to figure out whether the word is being used to describe a thing or an action.

Then there are the rules about dangling participles... Sounds like a job for a napkin or a doctor.

Don't end on a preposition... It has been a long time since my evening ended on a proposition...

Don't forget to, too and two. Then double them all to get for, fore and four.

Victor Borga talks about inflationary words > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6kElOYcd8

Then there is the use of that or which. They both tend to get used in places where they don't belong.

So you are doing better than so many others who can only converse in a single language. Even though English is a second language for you, your writing is still better than many with English as their first or only language.

English is considered one of the most difficult languages. So difficult in fact, it is often said the only thing that separates Americans and the British is our lack of a common language.

Other than that my only thought is a 40º bevel on a 45º bedding might not give enough clearance. Since it is a small secondary bevel it seems you find it to work fine.

I have thought about using a blade with only back bevel. It would likely be too fragile to plane much with a 15-20º bevel on the blade. It would work almost like a scrapper at some point.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-12-2014 at 1:13 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes and spelling is difficult to, too, two, and tutu!

Anon