Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing Work

Signing Work

I recently ordered and finally recieved my new method of signing my work and thought I'd share the result. I still write the year and species underneath. It takes a little getting used to so I don't burn too shallow or too deep. It's kind of a one shot thing or you get a double stamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Very nice design, Raymond. You are right about having to get used to the burn time for a crisp image...and it varies with species, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is cool Raymond!
    Jerry

That's an extra nice design...very attractive.

On my upscale pieces, I've been using an "epoxy dome" logo. This one is 3/4" in diameter and is in a shallow counter-bore made with a Forstner bit. Kinda pricey, but they look nice. Here's a link to the supplier: http://www.whitedogpress.com/epoxy.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best,
    Ed D.

Can you post a picture of the device that actually applies the mark?

Guess i am a little slow......not quite grasping the significance of the symbol??

Thanks.

Randy,

It's just a logo, a brand, I'll post pictures of the device later tonight. I guess I failed the test if it doesn't look like a person holding a bowl.
    Raymond Overman

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Here are a few responses to this subject that I have made in the past:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...5359#post35359

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=medallions

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=medallions

Some samples using a simple fine line magic marker:

Some samples of medallions:

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken,
    Where do you get the medallions?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

9. Neat logo, Raymond. But I also wasn't sure exactly what it was...

I realize you just got it and you're testing it and learning it, but the letters sure seem to be hard to read for me. Do you think you'll be able to get a crisper detail?

On one hand I like the brands and medallions that are posted here... but on the other hand I still like the unique, hand-engraved signature.

Regardless of my personal preference, that's a neat addition to your turnings.

Didn't see it before Raymond but do now. Cool deal.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mark,

I posted this thread over a year ago. 7/18/05 to be precise. I've learned how to get a crisper burn when I use it since then.
    Raymond Overman

12. LOL... man, do I feel like a dork... I thought I had seen it before, but didn't take the time to go back and look.

Wood burning logos is tough enough on flat work (see your example) let alone curved objects that are turned. Medallions look very cool but are limited to objects big enough to apply them to. The easiest is permanent ink or using an engraving pencil but I have terrible penmanship with either. What ever works best for you is what you should use. Clear and legible is the minimum daily requirement in this issue.

Man....lots of suggestions and ideas. Raymond....that looks really good.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Christenson
    Ken,
    Where do you get the medallions?
    Jason,

Go to the Laser Engraving and CNC Forum here at SMC and look at the List of engravers. Any one of our Members who own a laser engraver can make custom medalions for you from many different types of materials.

If you already have an engraver that you work with I posted a Corel Draw file with the design I use, you are welcome to use the file.