Thread: Seriously, some people...

Seriously, some people...

Loving the feel of a smooth bowl I can completely understand when someone picks up your work to admire by touch. But honestly, what is it with people drumming their nails all over it??? Or tapping rings? Does this happen to you guys?
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

slap em upside the head and tell them "it's a bowl, not a drum. When you buy it - you can torture it however you want"

I run the show and tell for my club - what really gets me is people (other turners!) that pick up something and poke it with a FINGERNAIL! yes, it's wood...and you just put a big mark in it.

I have some people that like to feel every bowl, never had a problem with anyone damaging anything. Pens and kids don't go together very well though.
    Fred

Shawn you win, it's one thing if you don't know any better and/or have no sense, but a fellow woodworker really oughtn't a know better. I actually don't mind their appreciating a smooth surface, but don't rap it like your testing for lead crystal. But scraping with nails? chocolate fingerprints on pens I'm sure are a thrill, Fred
    Maria

Drumming their nails and tapping their rings is their way of checking thickness, and I don't mind that as most other woodturners do the same. That's where I draw the line though, if they mark it up they're expected to purchase it, and I try let them know that before they get to touch it.
    Len

My two cents:
    1). Humans a very tactile creatures. They can't help it. The shinier something looks the more humans want to touch it.
    2). No one will care about something as much as the creator does.
    3). If you are going to sell your work in a gallery or store, you should accept fact 1 & 2.
    I've been selling my work (flat work) in galleries for years and I can tell you that your experience is very very common. I've had to buff out fingernail scratches many times before.
    If you think scratches are bad, having your work "stolen" is much worse

yes, it happens quite often.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Guess I have to learn to accept the things I cannot change, and definitely be extra aware of how I approach another woodworker's pieces!
    Maria

I have to agree to the 'stolen' comment. In my case it was at a symposium and the 'security' individual practically accused me of lying (until they found the tag torn up in the waste).

At 'show and tell' we had a club member grab a piece that the turner had asked not be touched, and then trip and drop the piece. That was his last meeting withthe club.
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 12-14-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    My two cents:
    1). Humans a very tactile creatures. They can't help it. The shinier something looks the more humans want to touch it.
    I would add that we human beings love the tactility of wood. It is one of the reasons why people still want things made of wood.

I make turkey calls and at one time I left a couple on the table with the striker stick, I had people try and use the striker to poke at the sound holes which damages the glass sounding surface inside the call. Than they wondered why I got upset! How all of my turkey calls are kept in blister packs to protect them. I don't mind them trying them but after several try's they walk away. I know they work well because previous customers talk about how they enjoy their previous purchase. The same goes for other game calls. I had several young men try some calls and the next thing I know I was missing a duck call. While I am at it I don't like it when kids handle the goods and parents just say nothing.