Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skynet Got Me Today

Skynet Got Me Today

odd coincedence but I was watching Terminator 2 and running a job at the same time
    and on the 2nd pass of the job the laser decided to run a line from the lower left hand corner to the upper right
    hand corner across the job and then two horizontal lines across the length of the job which completely
    ruined the job. Didn't do it on the first pass. There may be something to this 'rise of the machines' thing.
    a reboot later and it all worked out.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

So How many times have you watched T-2 I've lost count LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

MY Universal does odd things too. About every couple of weeks it just stops mid job and I can only correct it with a reboot on the PC.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

data transfer errors. Hate when that happens. My laser's do that occasionally. So do my other engravers. This just happened yesterday, instead of the tool picking up and going to the next part on the right, it just stayed down and engraved a straight line left to infinity (or the limit switch, whichever comes first! )
    line.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Do you have someone running a welder, Ham or CB type radio transmitter near by? Could be RFI or EMI either on the power line or someone near you with an electronic device.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I used to have this problem regularly with my LS100. It was a bearing issue. Since I've replaced the bearing and rail I haven't had a problem and that's about 3-4 years.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I had it happen just now, mid way through engraving a piece of maple darn it. I re ran the job with the lid ajar and then dropped it at the right time, I got a tiny black line in the art that I can get away with.

It happened exactly when I pushed my garage door remote to let a customer in hrmmmm. Ross my bearings on the x axis are a bit noisey so I will replace them as a matter of course and see if it helps.

Cheers
    Keith

Since I have been running my new air compressor that has much lower ripple current I have not seen this issue reoccur. Fingers crossed the issue is fixed.

Well it got me again today, the machine locked up exactly when the compressor cycled on, so I am pretty sure that it happens when you get the voltage drop due to the compressor starting up.

If I get ambitious I will pull the power-supply apart and check/replace the electrolytic capacitors. At least I know the cause now.

Any chance to put the laser on another circuit? You might also try a power strip with the surge protection and filtering, might need to spend a little more to get an industrial rated one. I have a heavy duty one on mine and I would have to go out and get the brand and model. I see you are an electronics person, so maybe you know about adding bypass capacitors to take any RF to ground.

The last more expensive solution is running the laser off a UPS system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The last more expensive solution is running the laser off a UPS system.
    I looked at UPS cost and went with a much less expensive APC voltage regulator. (Our electric power is very unstable.) I was very happy with the regulator.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    I looked at UPS cost and went with a much less expensive APC voltage regulator. (Our electric power is very unstable.) I was very happy with the regulator.
    Are you folks on diesel generators for the entire island or do you have your own solar / wind set up off a battery bank and invertors?

Blog Entries
    Bill,

John can update me if I am not current....but I believe Fiji has a very modest Hydro generation setup that I think came on line in 2012 or 2013? They also have a bit of wind and a bit of biomass generated by burning the scraps from timber and sugar production. Otherwise they are on diesel generators. And if I remember right, pretty old ones.

John.....don't feel bad. It could be worse. You could be in Saipan (commonwealth of the marianas) where they are almost 100% diesel, running generators that date back to the German occupation of the islands (seriously) and are constantly in arrears on their payment for fuel to the point where the oil companies will only take cash now for delivery. They anchor a fuel tanker off the coast (to taunt them I think) and wait till someone gives them hard currency for the fuel. So the island has longgggggg rolling blackouts. Almost all businesses and hotels and the National Park unit I served there have generators to take them through these long blackouts. If you are a homeowner with limited $$ resources you are simply up a creek without a paddle. Amazing way to run a country. Hopefully Fiji is a bit more stable than that.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Keith,

Problem with the Universal machine will be USB connection....... 1) it's possible your USB card or mother board 0n the computer are getting weak when they get hot, 2) you might also try a power assisted USB 3) as mentioned the power surge on the same circuit etc. could also cause a micro second off/on just enough for the ULS to loose the USB two way communications...... ( We have two Universal and very familiar with the problem. At one point the only cure was a new internal powered USB Card)

Blessings,

Kevin

I'llllllll beeeee backkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=