Thread: Pocket Axe Any One ? and we look in to watch the oil evaporate.

Pocket Axe Any One ? and we look in to watch the oil evaporate.

Stuff to look at on a winters day:

I warned you this oil vigil was going to go on and on. Excuse all the dust specks in the wet oil. After these many months the Stand oil, far right, is setting up good (like rubber) but the Camellia oil is still wet and the WD-40 is still wet.

Why am I still beating this horse ? :
    (other than the fact that none of these oils have evaporated)
    Turns out the Camellia (commercial cheep stuff from the major vendor) is not turning gummy as I expected it to so still good for stones ? Which I thought it wouldn’t be because of gummy factor.

The Tung oil and the Stand oil are there to demonstrate how some drying oils change over time and how long it takes if driers are not added to speed up the cross linking.
    a couple of months for the tung oil to get good and solid and about twice that and more for the stand oil.

KNIFE PHOTOS :

You have all heard me say when you get really good at wood working all you need is a hammer.
    Some are so good all they need is a rock.

I have been off on a pocket knife (and or non folder ) jag.
    I have been obsessed with the “Sunfish” style of knife for months now. Frustrated by not being able to find an original old user from the early 1900’s to buy (preferably with provenance: who carried it and where they worked) I have bought a cheep reproduction. Just to fart around with until the great coming of the real deal.

Some call this thing a pocket axe. Carried in the vest pocket because if you carry it in your pants pocket it could very well cause bruises to the leg and or other lower parts before wearing a hole through your pocket from shear weight and bulk and going off to live a care free existence with out you.

Apparently, and I am hoping maybe George Wilson and others who know can fill me in and correct me, the knife was one of the every day tools of the men who built this country from the Oil fields and Mines to the Lumber forests and Nautical trades.

Point being when you really get good all you need is one of these knives and a forest to harvest.
    How many have built a chest on chest using only one of these ?
    What secondary angle is best for use on bubinga ?

And I included the white ceramic bladed Talonz “neck knife” for an example of the ultimate in blade hardness (bellow diamond but way above the hardest steel) I have been monkeying around learning to sharpen it.
    Advertised as ten times sharper than steel.
    NOT
    Not as I received it anyway. I rebeveled it (too steep). That was easy with diamond paddles. Honing the edge on a maple strop with diamond paste is proving to be interesting. Barely shave sharp as you see it but have not gotten back for another round or two.

. . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Winton asking about proper angle for bubinga? The last batch he did looked so good sitting on that table...that I had to go fry
    up a pound of bacon.