Thread: ebonizing thin wood

ebonizing thin wood

New to turning and wondering if anyone here ebonize thin wood so it penetrates completely through a 1/8 or 1/4 inch wood ?

Ebonizing is easiest done (for me) with dye.

I did some rough experiments a year ago where I measured dye penetration through popsicle sticks. I was surprised to confirm what experts told me: dye does not penetrate too far into the wood if using water or ethanol as a solvent. I left my pieces soaking in there and still, did not get complete penetration.

I was able to get complete penetration by using acetone as a solvent. However, you cannot spray it on. It flashes off so quickly, it will ironically only deposit dye near the surface if you spray it. But if you soak the piece, I found good penetration in the sticks. Now, that's a soft wood; I don't know how you'd fare on woods of different porosity or hardness.

Also, know that when you soak the wood with alcohol or acetone, you may cause further moisture displacement from the wood cells (this is my suspicion, not an expert opinion). I wonder, therefore, if you risk wood movement.

I also have to ask why you need complete penetration? You'll get more control and arguably better surface color by airbrushing rather than soaking; on any round object, getting the color (especially dark colors) to absorb evenly into the end and side grain is a real bear. I have found the best way to get consistent coverage is spraying (hvlp or airbrush).
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-15-2014 at 9:12 AM.

I'm wanting to try some layered bowls! Use thin black in between the main woods used in the bowl!

1/8 is probably at the limit - unless you use a vacuum system.
    Try soaking walnut in a vinegar / rust solution. This works great with veneer. You will have to experiment with the timing for something thicker.
    I've done this, and if it doesn't get all the way through, you can touch up the center with the vinegar solution using a fine paint brush.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

This is much thinner than what you mentioned, but looks nice between segments/layers in a segmented piece. Also no mess.

Screen-Shot-2014-12-15-at-3.30.02-PM.jpg

You can stack several layers together for more thickness. The red and yellow stripes in this egg are made with 3 or 4 layers of this veneer. In this case I put the grain from each layer opposite the previous, ply wood style. In subsequent turnings, I found it is better to keep the grain all running the same direction.

14132.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

If you decide to go the veneer route you may want to check with B&B Rare Woods. Excellent selection and good service. I have purchased black veneer from them several times.

I would use the real deal. I love gaboon Ebony and try to incorporate it in almost everything I do.

A little steeply priced for a beginner! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    I would use the real deal. I love gaboon Ebony and try to incorporate it in almost everything I do.