Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minwax Antique Oil on a chest

Minwax Antique Oil on a chest

Hey Guys, I've finished building a blanket chest for my wife and have been putting on Minwax Antique Oil. It's the first time I've used this and am not sure if it's working out alright... I'm used to just putting on 3-4 coats of poly and calling it a day.

I've already put 2 coats on it (as per the instructions) the 2nd coat was this morning. I am wondering if I should continue putting on another coat or simply steelwool 0000 and wax...? I'm looking to achieve a soft looking finish that glows, give it a nice antique look.

Edit: I should say, it looked fantastic when it was wet with the oil. But once it was rubbed off, looking a little flat?
    William Desrochers - Bitmap to Vector Artist
    Excalibur Creations

It might take 6 or 8 or more coats of that to build much of a finish, especially if the wood is soft or thirsty.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    It might take 6 or 8 or more coats of that to build much of a finish, especially if the wood is soft or thirsty.

John
    Oye, that's going to put me behind on other projects (small shop, limited space)... I may put a 3rd coat and leave it as for now or brush some poly on it instead.
    Excalibur Creations

If it doesn't need much protection you could just go to your original plan B - let it be for a couple of days and then wax it. That will give you a nice soft sheen and feel oh so good. Not much protection, but a blanket chest shouldn't need much. I finished a cherry hall table that way 20+ years ago and it still looks just fine.

John

Minwax Antique Oil is a wiping varnish, not "oil"...and takes about 3 applications to equal one "brushed" coat of non-thinned varnish. It offers the same "protection" of any other oil based varnish when applied to equivalency.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was always under the impression that their Antique Oil was an oil/varnish blend. I haven't used it myself to know for sure, but I think I read it in Flexner and on this forum quite a few times.

>>>> I've finished building a blanket chest for my wife and have been putting on Minwax Antique Oil

I think you are in for a problem. Oil based finishes are very slow to cure and the will off-gas almost forever. The off-gasing will cause an odor that will permeate any cloth or clothing item put inside an enclosed space coated with an oil based finish. For spaces that will contain cloth, food or clothing only finish inside surfaces with waterborne finish or with shellac or lacquer.
    Howie.........

I wouldn't finish the inside.

It's conventional wisdom that wiping varnishes require 8-9 coats - but that's only if you're comparing it to 3 coats of brushed on varnish.

I rarely finish to this degree. 4-6 coats is more like it.

You won't get behind. Just wipe it quickly on, then buff it off. It doesn't have to take more than 3-4 minutes per coat. I like to do 2 a day (one in the morning, one before bed).

Also, I would not switch to poly now.

I too have been of the belief that the Antique Oil is an oil/varnish mix. You can tell by the directions that call for the material to be buffed off of the surface after letting it penetrate for 10-15 minutes. Varnish doesn't need wiping off.

The latest issue of Fine Woodworking has an article on wipe on finishes, and the Minwax Antique Oil requires a minimum of 3 coats to really look good. It is my favorite wiping finish, and 3 coats is the minimum for getting a good-looking finish.

Well I stopped at 3 coats and a coat of wax, it looks great. Wife loves it and so has everyone else... I'll try more coats on other projects in the future (plan more accordingly).

Never thought about off gassing, I only did one coat inside. If I need to I'll just line it with some cedar. Here's some photos,

PC160970.jpgPC160974.jpgPC160976.jpg
    Excalibur Creations

Quote Originally Posted by William Desrochers View Post
    Well I stopped at 3 coats and a coat of wax, it looks great. Wife loves it and so has everyone else... I'll try more coats on other projects in the future (plan more accordingly).

Never thought about off gassing, I only did one coat inside. If I need to I'll just line it with some cedar. Here's some photos,

PC160970.jpgPC160974.jpgPC160976.jpg
    Lets face the facts William. That thing could have been made out of cardboard - as long as the lovey dovey stuff was there she was guaranteed to love it. On the other hand, we can all appreciate the nice job you did with the woodworking. Great job! I really love it too!
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 12-19-2014 at 2:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Brewster View Post
    I was always under the impression that their Antique Oil was an oil/varnish blend. I haven't used it myself to know for sure, but I think I read it in Flexner and on this forum quite a few times.
    Varnishes form a hard film when you let them dry on a piece of glass. Oil or oil/varnish blends don't; they wrinkle up. According to the article in the latest issue of FWW, the MinWax Antique Oil is varnish, just a thin one. Why they label it Antique Oil is rather a mystery.

John

I build keepsake and jewelry boxes from time to time and one of my favorite finishing schedules is 2 coats of Watco Danish Oil followed by two coats of Johnson's paste wax a few days later. The Watco really brings out the grain in cherry and walnut and the wax leaves the box with a lovely warm glow and silky smooth touch. I discovered this combination in the same way you did. I decided the Watco didn't leave enough of a sheen so I let it dry and applied wax just to try to bring up the lustre.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Varnishes form a hard film when you let them dry on a piece of glass. Oil or oil/varnish blends don't; they wrinkle up. According to the article in the latest issue of FWW, the MinWax Antique Oil is varnish, just a thin one. Why they label it Antique Oil is rather a mystery.
    No real mystery..."marketing". It's the same as with things labeled "Tung Oil Finish"...not oil.
    ------

OP, you did a fabulous job on that project! Wow... nice! Please post more photos in the Woodworking Projects Forum where we encourage SMC members to display their completed work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...