Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trim Router Recommendation

Trim Router Recommendation

I'm looking for a small trim router, primarily for onsite finish carpentry. The bosh Colt seems popular but also has a disproportionate # of negative reviews on Amazon. Anyone own a DeWalt DWP611? It's got a 5 star rating and is feature rich. Any others that i should be looking at? This will get commercial grade use so will spend to get quality/durabiity.

Thank you....
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have the Bosch Colt. In use it's terrific, but I have the same problems as many others when it comes to bit changes. The spindle lock failed, so I have to use two wrenches--and if I've tightened the collet too much, it's a bear to loosen. I wish the old Porter-Cable 310 was still made. I waited around too long before trying to get one.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I have the Bosch Colt. In use it's terrific, but I have the same problems as many others when it comes to bit changes. The spindle lock failed, so I have to use two wrenches--and if I've tightened the collet too much, it's a bear to loosen. I wish the old Porter-Cable 310 was still made. I waited around too long before trying to get one.

Yeah, I read some of those reviews about the broken spindle lock....an Achilles heal to an otherwise outstanding compact router. The DeWalt also has a spindle lock....I'm tired of busting knuckles on cold days trying to loosen over-tightened collets, I'm leaning toward the DW611 + with optional plunge base for $168.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I like my Makita. Very compact, fits well in my hand, light weight.

The height adjust is mickey-mouse, but I quickly learned how to get that dialed in.

Good visibility thru the base; the light in there helps with detail work, like routing out for butterfly keys.

I use it exclusively for rounding over sharp edges on table tops, etc. - much nicer than a router.

Assume they have made some upgrrades over time; mine is 7 - 8 years old.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

5. I recently got the DWP611 combo kit and love it.

I have the dewalt 611 and love it. I currently have it set up for shelf pins in the plunge base. I also like the newer Ridgid

I have the Ridgid palm router and like it a lot. It has a spindle lock, but I find it hard to get enough torque to tighten the collet with only one wrench, so I use both. I don't think that's a problem inherent to the Ridgid; more just mechanics, or maybe just me. Anyway, the router has great depth adjustment, comes with a round and square clear plastic base, has a nice light, and accepts PC bushings by adding a shim, which I use to route hinge mortises. It also comes with a nice edge guide, all packed in a padded carrying case. I paid about $90. No complaints.

John

Dewalt 611 or The Porter cable they're the same , I have both like them very much , I have the plunge base for the Dewalt use them every day in my cabinet shop,
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

9. Here's my small router collection...
    The DeWalt is a nice size, but it's more like a mini router than in the laminate trimmer class, especially with the plunge base. The Bosch Colt seems to fit in the hand better than the others and I find gives better control for one hand operation. The two Porter-Cables are real workhorses, but I don't think are made any more. Now, you might read something into it, because I have 2 DeWalts and 2 Porter-Cables and only one Bosh Colt. But, that doesn't mean I don't like the Colt (I need another router like a hole in the head!), There's a DeWalt DWE6000 that didn't make it into the picture, that I also like a lot, but it not as smooth running and has a bit more vibration than the Colt. I also have a Dremel in a plunge router base, but that's really a hobby level tool. If something happened to the Colt I would certainly replace it with another one without hesitation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Scott here is my review of the 611 when I got it.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...walts+new+baby

I love the little router, I have done some inlay work with it, done round over work and even cut some 1/4" dados in some pine.
    I have been using both of the bases at different times and find they are great, no problem with it at all.

Blog Entries
    The Colt does have the best fit in the hand going for it IMHO. The DeWalt height adjustments are better (and easier) but, it is getting a little large to be called a trim router. The PC 310's are rock stars and even used bring top dollar even though they are no longer made. They can be a handful for those of us with smaller hands. I think their larger base and low center of gravity win them a large fan-base.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The 310's were the best. C'est la vie. I have both the Colt and the Dewalt. The height adjustment mechanism on the Colt was always a pain, and the base wasn't exactly perpendicular...I had to shim it. I find myself reaching for the Dewalt 99% of the time for 1/4" bits. I plan on dedicating the Colt to a jig. I don't think the Colt is terrible, and it IS comfortable, but I wouldn't buy it again given that the Dewalt is just a better router, IMHO, and it's comfortable enough.

Ridgid r2401

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Ridgid r2401
    Never saw that one before. Looks like someone tossed a bunch of the good parts from the 611 and Colt parts in a bag, gave it a good shake, and pulled out a router.

I have both the Colt and the DeWalt. I prefer the DeWalt.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.