Thread: Laguna vs Grizzly band saw

Laguna vs Grizzly band saw

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Laguna 1412 or the Grizzly G0513X2. Is either of them better for resaw? I realize Laguna is 14" and Grizzly is 17". I would really appreciate any input as this is my first "real" band saw. Thank you.

I own the G0513X2 and love it. I've had it for a few years and have absolutely no issues with it. I also own an older delta-style 14". That is a good machine as well. However, when it comes to resawing, there is no comparison. The Grizzly works great for that.

Couple things to consider...1. You might not think that the extra 3" are a big deal, but you will eventually wish you had them. And 2. You will want to check and see how wide of a blade the Laguna will take. The width of the blade matters especially in resawing. I keep a 3/4" blade on my Grizzly for resawing. It works very well. I'm not sure that a 14" would handle that size blade.
    Last edited by Harold Burrell; 12-17-2014 at 9:51 AM.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I have the Laguna 14-12 and it'll take a 3/4" blade. Mine is new so I can't attest to its performance but so far i am very pleased.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I have the 17" machine and often wish for a 20". Given the proven positive history of the G0513 series for Grizzly I would err on the side of a deeper throat. If you only resaw or do not do much bandsaw work on larger pieces this may have no value for you. In my case it would be the tie-breaker.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have the 17" machine and often wish for a 20". Given the proven positive history of the G0513 series for Grizzly I would err on the side of a deeper throat. If you only resaw or do not do much bandsaw work on larger pieces this may have no value for you. In my case it would be the tie-breaker.
    I had a 20" and now long for a 24"+. Bandsaws are like that. I don't really want more resaw height beyond 17" but the extra throat would make things very straight-forward when using the machine for odd and twisting cuts.
    -Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    I had a 20" and now long for a 24"+. Bandsaws are like that. I don't really want more resaw height beyond 17" but the extra throat would make things very straight-forward when using the machine for odd and twisting cuts.
    -Brian
    Yeah. Throat depth. There is never quite enough.

Which is why I am currently designing the mother of al band saws in my shop. The plan is to install a monster pulley on the roof of my shop that will literally transform my entire shop into a band saw. The only limiting factor to the depth will be the size of my shop.

I'm pretty stoked about it really.

However...I am running into a little bit of an issue in trying to figure out just how I am going to get that same size pulley UNDER my shop...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Tom, have a look at this thread on the same topic, begun 12-9-14:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Grizzly-0513X2

David

Thank you David, really looks like 6 of one half dozen of the other. Think I'm going with Grizzly, just hope the roller guides do what they say they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Yeah. Throat depth. There is never quite enough.

Which is why I am currently designing the mother of al band saws in my shop. The plan is to install a monster pulley on the roof of my shop that will literally transform my entire shop into a band saw. The only limiting factor to the depth will be the size of my shop.

I'm pretty stoked about it really.

However...I am running into a little bit of an issue in trying to figure out just how I am going to get that same size pulley UNDER my shop...
    We had a massive band saw at my trade school. The bottom wheel protruded down pretty far so a slot was cut into the shop floor to accommodate it. It worked fine, however the saw was so large we rarely used it.

I bought the G0513X2F with the foot brake a few months back and really like it. I was looking at the same saw you were and decided that bigger here was better. They are pretty comparable. I like the roller bearings.

I'd take the 17 inch band saw

Better guides vs. bigger saw. You can always add Laguna's guides later to your saw, but you can't add 3" to the bandsaw, and 3" is a huge difference. I started with a 14" Rikon, moved to a 17" Bridgewood and finally upgraded to a 24" Felder. Each step up has been a quantum leap in machinery.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    I'd take the 17 inch band saw
    Yep, what Gus said, and I have had a 14 inch Grizzly for over 10 years now. I wouldn't regret a bigger bandsaw at all.

Almost unfair for me to comment as the chances of me sliding up the band-saw size pole are none and none. As I grow more and more ancient ( at an alarming pace I might add) I end up with less and less room not more and less and less interest in muscling big machines around my smallish shop. So the 14/12 with its diminutive footprint for the capabilities it carries in its basket of tricks was perfect for me....maybe a little pricy but clearly more saw than your typical 14. That is what made sense for me.