Thread: Joinery question

Joinery question

Anyone know how Paul Sellers attached the raised panel lid to his tool chest seen here: https://paulsellers.com/2013/11/tool-chest-today/

It's the first photo. Does he nail it in place? I want to put a similar lid on a small chest. Curious if there's a simple way to do it without metal fasteners that would show.

Blog Entries
    There may be blocks of wood inside with screws going into the top and the sides.

That is one way.

I do not follow Paul Sellers enough to know his methods in such situations.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well I took a look at his tool chest and saw this on one of the blog entries.

26 December 2011 at 9:00 am

Paul Sellers says:
    All rails and divider are dovetailed. The rails are all 1 1/4 wide x 7/8″ thick but the dovetails only go the thickness of the 7/8″ way. The vertical divider is set the narrower way at 7/8″ on the face for looks and for space. These dovetails are set at 1/2″ deep.
    The bottom frame is glued and screwed and the screw heads plugged. The top framed panel is screwed through the top rail of the front frame and also has 3/4″ 3/4″ screw rail around the inside rime of the box. To avoid screws, I don’t mind them at all, you could simply glue and clamp because you have n contention between long and crossgrain; You are gluing longrain to longrain all the way so it will hold fine. I wanted to get on with the work so often, screws for me are temporary clamps. I could take all of the screws out now if I wanted and the top and bottom would hold for a hundred years just fine.