Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming Up Short

Coming Up Short

Good Morning everyone well todays problemghess does it ever end LOL anyway I cut a piece of velvet to line a box.and it came up short a1/4 inch all around. I measured twice and double checked the measurements in both corel and lasercut, they were rightn so any ideas why I came up short
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I had a similar problem where the file I was trying to engrave/cut was a different size. Somehow I had changed an option in Print Preview to "Fit to Page" instead of the "As in Document" option.
    ULS 50 Watt
    Sublimation
    Sandblasting
    Diamond Drag/Rotary Engraver

I have a Rabbit so don't know if that would apply to me, I don't see those options.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

did you try scoring a solid piece to see if the fabric shrunk when cut. Also did you have it set to cut to scale

Did the velvet itself shrink because of the heat of the laser? Did you have it stretched tight when you were cutting it and and now that it is loose it shrunk?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Blog Entries
    I would cut a piece of paper and see if its the correct size. If it isn't there is something off in the file. If the paper is the correct size, then the fabric shrunk due to the heat of the cutting in which case I would drastically lower power and raise speed to curb heat damage.

I cut some synthetic silk and it shrank. I ran the speed to max and the power to minimum and bumped power up just until the fabric just barely cut and it came out much better.

Another thought, you might be getting bounce back from your plate/honeycomb/grid. Might put a cardboard or wood sheet underneath.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

Lasercut was set to the size I wanted it to cut don't know about set to scale were is that setting located.?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

it wasn't streched just laying loosely.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'll try the paper. My settings are good for the material tho I just barley get a clean cut thru. running 70 spd 20 pwr

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Audleman View Post
    I would cut a piece of paper and see if its the correct size. If it isn't there is something off in the file. If the paper is the correct size, then the fabric shrunk due to the heat of the cutting in which case I would drastically lower power and raise speed to curb heat damage.

I cut some synthetic silk and it shrank. I ran the speed to max and the power to minimum and bumped power up just until the fabric just barely cut and it came out much better.

Another thought, you might be getting bounce back from your plate/honeycomb/grid. Might put a cardboard or wood sheet underneath.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I ran the paper test and as you can see its still short by approx 1/4 inch IMGP0002.JPGso what can be causing this??? Iguess its an 1/8 on all sides if I center the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Audleman View Post

Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Are you working in Metric in Corel Draw and in the machine or converting over somehow?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Maybe the box is coming up 1/4" too long.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I lost my box stretcher so I don't think thats it
    and I convert it all to mm before I send to laser

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Maybe the box is coming up 1/4" too long.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I lost my box stretcher so I don't think thats it
    and I convert it all to mm before I send to laser
    Maybe the conversion is the problem. I have my CD set up in metric, also purchased a metric tape measure. Had to order it from McMaster Carr.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

LaserCUT reads in units Bert, based on the metric system. Would the item be 8 inches long by any chance? (think 25.4mm to the inch not 25 units)

cheers

Dave
    You did what !