Thread: how difficult would it be to convert 3phase/400v machines to US voltage

how difficult would it be to convert 3phase/400v machines to US voltage

Hi all

I have been given an opportunity to reside in KY, USA. I would like to bring my machines with me to US if possible. below is the complete list of the machines.

Robland NX410 PRO combination machine, 1 phase, 2.2kw
    SCM 1100mm twin belt sander (2m x 1.5m), 3 phase, 18.6kw
    SCM 930MM single belt sander (1.2m x 1m), 3 phase, 11kw
    Chicago Pneumatics CPRS10500 silent piston compressor (1.5m x 1m), 3 phase 7.5kw
    Ceccato Dryer with filters, 1 phase, 0.75kw?
    Omga Dual mitre saw AL129 (4.5m x 1m), 3 phase, 3kw
    SCM S400P band saw (0.6m x 0.6m), 1 phase, 4kw?
    Masterwood Swing chisel mortiser OMB1V (2m x 1m), 3 cutters. 3 phase, 2.2kw
    Holytek baghouse extractor with proper ducting. (2.4m x 1.2m ), 3 phase 4kw
    Danfoss VSD rated 38amp (for the 1100mm sander. to keep the inrush current down,)
    Festool DF700, CT36, palm sander, 1 phase.

How difficult would it be to convert them to US voltage? most of my machines are 3 phase, and our voltage are 220-230 v for single phase, and 400-410 v for 3 phase.

Thank you for your time!

Albert

Voltage is an easy conversion, frequency is a more difficult issue.

The increased frequency will result in a 20% increase in machine RPM.

The frequency can be handled by a VFD or rotary frequency converter.

The main issue will be lack of electrical approval for all the machines. In Canada, each machine may need some modifications and then a field approval, perhaps someone in the US can comment on local requirements.............Regards, Rod.

If your frequency is 50 Hz and voltage is 400, and you can live with the additional rpms, 60 Hz and 480 get you the same ratio of voltage to Hz. I can't speak to each of your motors but old English motors of similar voltage and Hz are run over here. Belt drive can also be changed to keep the speed the same. Dave
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 12-12-2014 at 6:45 PM.

The 400 volt machines should run OK on 440 volts found here. I think some places may have 480 volts. The problem is that 440 volts is industrial current, as found in large factories, but not everywhere. We also have 208 or 230 volt 3 phase, commonly found in most commercial locations and businesses. The single phase is the same here. Oh, and we have 60 Hz current.

John

240-480 transformers are pretty common. three phase a little less so but you can also use single phase 240-480 transformer and then a vfd to power the machines. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    The 400 volt machines should run OK on 440 volts found here. I think some places may have 480 volts. The problem is that 440 volts is industrial current, as found in large factories, but not everywhere. We also have 208 or 230 volt 3 phase, commonly found in most commercial locations and businesses. The single phase is the same here. Oh, and we have 60 Hz current.

John
    440 volts is OBSOLETE & has been for many decades, 480 volts is the standard of today, 230 volts is a rated voltage, not a PoCo supplied voltage. While there are a number of 480 volt systems out there, most are only available to existing customers of the PoCo's & most of the time only 480Y/277 volts is offered, if it was 440, the line to neutral voltage would be around 254 volts which 277V lighting does not fare well with.

115,200,230,265,460,575 volts are rated voltages, 120,208,240,277,480,600 volts are supply/utilization voltages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Voltage is an easy conversion, frequency is a more difficult issue.

The increased frequency will result in a 20% increase in machine RPM.

The frequency can be handled by a VFD or rotary frequency converter.

The main issue will be lack of electrical approval for all the machines. In Canada, each machine may need some modifications and then a field approval, perhaps someone in the US can comment on local requirements.............Regards, Rod.
    Hi Rod, is the field approval by an electrical inspector? I'm not familiar with that process for our hobby type machines here in the anything goes wild west, but curious if it's that way in other more civilized places in the USA.

It sounds like a bit of a headache to deal with so many machines with voltage/frequency issues. Personally, I would sell them in NZ, and buy used equivalents off Craigslist once you get to KY. No doubt, you would be able to find similar tools at a cheaper price, with the added bonus that you don't have to ship all of those tools. Then you wouldn't have any future headaches with those tools once in the US. If you ever wanted to upgrade to something else, you wouldn't get anything for them in the US, and if you decided to add more tools later (which ALWAYS happens), you wouldn't be having to deal with different places to plug in different tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Hi Rod, is the field approval by an electrical inspector? I'm not familiar with that process for our hobby type machines here in the anything goes wild west, but curious if it's that way in other more civilized places in the USA.
    Hi Steve, the field approval can be a third party approval to Canadian Standards, not the normal electrical inspector.

The machines I bought from Felder had a $250 surcharge for Canadian approval (they now build them to Canadian standards so modifications aren't required when they get here).

Regards, Rod.

I thought he was moving to US? The 400 volt machines should run on US 460 volts 60 Hz without a problem, Except they are 3 phase. So finding a home in the US with 460 volt 3 phase? Or putting in a 230 to 460 volts single phase transformer able to run one or two machines at a time or at least run your largest. Then a Rotary Convertor to change the single to three phase, sized to run your largest machine and all hooked to it. Or purchase a VFD for each machine. Don't know what freight charges would be for your equipment but the suggestion to sell and purchase new sounds like a good one.

BTW I built my rotary convertor as I am sure others on here have.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10