Thread: saw resto

saw resto

Guys, I went thru an entire replacement build of a rip saw handle, it fit my hand beautifully and as I installed it on the newly sharpened blade it cracked in the exact same place as the original one I was replacing. I think the problem is that the screws are tapered woodscrews not thru bolts. I used teak because its the only hardwood I had in 5/4, this being my first attempt I'm wondering if this not a good choice for the application. Last but not least where can I get the thru saw bolts?
    old broken handle.jpgoverall saw.jpgrestored saw.jpgnew cracked handle.jpg

Do you have any access to "sacrificial" saws, i.e. those that are beyond repair but still have a decent set of saw nuts that you could harvest? If you are lucky enough to have a "Re-Store" (store run by Habitat for Humanity) in your area, you might check there. Ours has a bucket of bashed up Disstons for a few bucks apiece.

Blog Entries
    +1 on what John said. A donor saw will cost less than postage. If part of the blade is good it can be used to make scrapers, marking knives or even small specialty chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You can often find boxes of NOS saw nuts on eBay

Pat,
    Your mailbox is full and will not accept PMs.

BobV

Saw nuts are available through ACE Hardware. You can order them at your local store or online. Item Number is 20066. I am siting here holding a bag of 10 in my hand. The cost was around 10 or 12 dollars. They are nickle plated and work fine. I got them a couple of years ago when I rehandled a 1950s hardware saw. I check their web site and they are still listed. Cheers.

Don, thanks so much for your reply. I did wind up get something from Ace hardware to finish my saw handle project. I managed to repair the crack and it now works like a dream. It really is sad that not one store within a hundred miles of me carries these. If need them again I know how to order them.
    saw rehab.jpgsaw rehab2.jpg
    Last edited by Pat Meeuwissen; 02-17-2015 at 8:05 AM.