Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Least used 'gotta have it' tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Rarely use my scroll saw. Thought it would add another dimension to the shop.
    Dittis on that. Made a few Christmas ornaments, and then realized I had neither the patience, or the interest, in making little frilly things that required a TON of intricate cuts.

Like so may others, I hardly ever use my biscuit joiner, but found a really good use for one. I built a large version of Festool's MFT workbench that has a CNC machined MDF top. I needed to fasten the top to the frame, but did not want any screws anchoring it from the top, down into the frame. I bought some "Z-clips" that ride in a groove on the workbench frame and screw into the underside of the top. The biscuit joiner was perfect for making those slots. (Thankfully it is a Harbor Freight model, so I paid next to nothing for it ...)

For all of you lamenting the fact that you dropped two bills or so on a Porter Cable biscuit joiner, check out the Lamello models at just shy of $600 ...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lamello-7..._sku=203945246

I have a biscuit jointer that I only purchased because it was barely used and cheap. Haven't used it yet.
    Who is Norm?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Morgan View Post
    Who is Norm?
    Norm Abram of This Old House and The New Yankee Workshop fame.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Norm Abram of This Old House and The New Yankee Workshop fame.
    Retired from both, of course. I was thinking a couple of days ago how much I miss New Yankee Workshop, there doesn't seem to be any more real woodworking shows on TV anymore.

Norm still shows up on TOH pretty frequently. He is such a legend that I assume Josh was just joshing with his question.

One vote for scroll saw. Purchased it at least 10 years ago and I would be hard pressed to find the on/off switch since I don't remember EVER turning it on.
    Another vote for biscuit joiner. Used it more than scroll saw, BUT NOT MUCH.

That was my favorite as well. I liked that much more than "This Old House".

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Norm still shows up on TOH pretty frequently. He is such a legend that I assume Josh was just joshing with his question.
    Wasn't Joshing. I've never had cable or satellite tv as I just don't watch much of it. I do occasionally catch TOH on a local broadcast.

Sorry for the assumption and the poor pun, Josh. Norm's "New Yankee Workshop" was carried on most PBS stations, but has been off the air for a while now. Age may also be a factor in how familiar one is with the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Sorry for the assumption and the poor pun, Josh. Norm's "New Yankee Workshop" was carried on most PBS stations, but has been off the air for a while now. Age may also be a factor in how familiar one is with the show.
    No reason to apologize, I Josh around all the time.
    I have heard of it before. I'm 33.

I've got a few tools that are rarely used. but awesome when needed.
    Belt Sander
    Handheld planer (fitting doors and the ocasional piece of molding)
    "Drill press" guide for portable drill
    Jigsaw

Unused is a 3/8" corded dril- a nice one, I gave away, along with a cheaper one.
    All but unused are Visegrip pistol grip clamps- while I've got over 30 regular visegrip clamps, and Bessy and Jorg bar clamps.

My most used tool has to be my 7/32 stapler- Just drove my 30,000+ staple this weekend (opened replacement box number 11). I do a lot of construction using laminated plywood- I glue, clamp like a vice, staple, and move the clamps. The band saw is my "I never realized how much I would use it" tool- And thats with almost never cutting curves (what I assumed I bought it for) or doing resawing.

Festool track saw is used with one exception only for cuttign up sheet goods, but it's done it for 300+ sheets.

Two weeks ago I would have agreed on the scroll saw. I had a Shopsmith scroll saw that came with a complete set, but on its own base. For several years it was a handy table (with a small blade in the center!), so I moved it on. But I just bought another one over the holidays - $30 Delta from a guy who bought a new Dewalt and now I'm pumped. I thought I needed it for creating some teak surrounds for some light fixtures, but when I started reading the scrolling forums I got VERY excited about building some puzzles for my 3yo grandson. He now plays with MY 50+ year old toys (wood and metal, very little plastic!) and loves them, so it seems like something I would really enjoy (and the 2nd grandchild is due in July).

I too have the PC biscuit joiner, which I got for building some cabinets on my boat. But (as others have noted) there's a lot of slop in there, and getting and keeping things clamped just so was a PITA. So I went with a Kreg system, and that worked out awesome for my application - plus I can take the stateroom cabinets apart for modification later without destruction.

But now I'm working on some teak shutters for our masterbath remodel and the Kreg just isn't going to work aesthetically. Plus I read the FW article on joint strengths and decided to go with half-lap joints (also an excuse to buy box and dado sets for my table saw!).

And I have an old Craftsman belt sander sitting in the cabinet. Haven't used it in...15 years? The irony is, I'm looking at a (fixed) belt grinder to use before sharpening with my Tormek. I wonder if there's a way to build a tool to hold that belt sander...

13. Quote Originally Posted by James Nugnes View Post
    That was my favorite as well. I liked that much more than "This Old House".
    My problem with TOH, and honestly I haven't watched it for years, is that it's always taking old houses and "upgrading" them with the newest high tech gadgets. It's not an old house after they're done with it. "This No-Longer-Old House!"

My least used 'gotta have tool' would be my hammer ever since I acquired 10-12 nail guns / staplers / screw guns over the years.

Of course I've also moved from house carpentry to cabinetry, but having spent entire days doing nothing but nailing off sheathing when I was new, I don't miss that thing one bit.

Ha, ha...or maybe not...

I think it it must be the wife!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!