Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Least used 'gotta have it' tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cullen View Post
    A set of spokeshaves and a drawknife. HAD to have them 30 years ago when I started woodworking, but haven't found out yet what they're used for. They still hang on pegs in my shop, collecting dust.
    Send me to me, dude. I'll see to it they are used plenty. :-)
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 12-23-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I got the plate joiner for glue-up on panels. But - I realized that with the intentional built-in slop, it did nothing to help alignment. Then, I realized that a well-fitted joint would glue up just as strong without the biscuits as with them. So - after the FF on the kitchen cabinets, I had nothing left for it to do.
    I keep my biscuit joiner just on the off chance I ever need it to produce a large number of cabinets for my kitchen.i really should sell the damn thing, and borrow one if I need it.
    Paul

I bought a flannel shirt after I saw Norm wearing one on his show. I have since bought several others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    I bought a flannel shirt after I saw Norm wearing one on his show. I have since bought several others.
    Nicely played indeed.
    Paul

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Drill Doctor. I sharpened a slew of drill bits when I first got it several years ago and haven't touched it since. I can sharpen by hand in a fraction of the time the DD takes.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Rarely use my scroll saw. Thought it would add another dimension to the shop.

I blame Norm for my Delta drill press mortising attachment. Worth more as scrap iron than as a tool. A mistake well worth the hours of enjoyment he provided to me when I was getting started!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    +1 on flannel shirt when woodworking! I wear them all freakin year long!
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

My fifth and sixth routers, a dw618 and a Milwaukee 5625. Already had one in each power range. I figured I would need a spare, sooner or later. Hasn't come up yet. Gave the Milwaukee to my BIL.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

For me it's the jointer. Can't make it work/can't figure it out. All I've ever made with it is long, thin trapezoids. Haven't turned it on in probably three years and pretty much hate it.

On the other hand, I use my DW biscuiter all the time and would hate to part with it.

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    From a tool junky i have a shop full. I really need to post some of it for sale so someone else can store it for a few years
    compleate incra router table with wonder fence (still in the box)
    liegh dr4 dove tail jig (made 3 smalll drawers)
    incra I box (still in the box)
    and so on
    Al
    I have had a few private messages about some items I have and am afraid that i am from Canada and don't want the hassle of shipping across the boarder
    sorry everyone.
    Allan

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    I have had a few private messages about some items I have and am afraid that i am from Canada and don't want the hassle of shipping across the boarder
    sorry everyone.
    Allan
    Allan, don't be afraid to be from Canada.

I'll throw out a couple in a different vein:

First aid kit
    Fire extinguisher

Only used a couple of bandaids out of the first and haven't (knock on wood) had to use the second yet.

Profile sander & biscuit jointer. Other tools that came with a package deal that I don't use are a scrolls saw and Lathe.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

Boy would hate to be without a fire extinguisher if the dust collector ever goes up. But then again if there is enough dust in there and it does blow then I probably end up sticking out the top of the chimney on my roof not much wondering about the location of the fire extinguisher. As for first aid, as in band aids and compression stuff really...I am a woodcarver. Tools are and should be unbelievably sharp. I am honing all the time. Anyway, hands are really in close proximity to sharp edges and even being extra careful just the fact that you are pushing on the honed edge with one hand and often holding the workpiece in the other is going to get you into trouble.