Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Least used 'gotta have it' tool?

Least used 'gotta have it' tool?

For me it turned out to be my Porter Cable Profile Sander. If it's good enough for Norm, I had to have it. I think I have used it twice in over 15 years.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Biscuit joiner - another Norm induced purchase....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've got a couple what is the criteria? I have the Woodpecker's Paolini pocket rule (not even sure where it is), PC profile sander (bought at auction, not the bay).
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

For me it's the buiscuit joiner, and Norm had a lot to do with that purchase too.

Porter Cable profile sander. Bought it at an auction several years ago and have never used it. Fortunately I didn't pay very much for it.

John

Got both of those... biscuit joiner and the profile sander. Do use both occasionally. The profile sander sat for years, nearly forgot I had it!

Makita 3 X 21" belt sander. I think I've used it twice in 15 or so years.

Charley

From a tool junky i have a shop full. I really need to post some of it for sale so someone else can store it for a few years
    compleate incra router table with wonder fence (still in the box)
    liegh dr4 dove tail jig (made 3 smalll drawers)
    incra I box (still in the box)
    and so on
    Al

Sounds like watching Norm is about the most costly thing one could do around here. That said I always have thought he harps on particular tools episode after episode and then climbs onto another. That whole biscuit joiner thing is a good example. At one point i thought we would see Norm trying to drop a new motor in his truck with ....you guessed it....his biscuit joiner.

Belt sander is a good one though. I keep looking at mine trying to invent ways to use it....not much luck so far.
    Last edited by James Nugnes; 12-23-2014 at 11:38 AM.

I have a Sears "router-crafter" never unpacked. Not exactly gotta have it as it was a gift from my father when I first started woodworking almost 40 years ago. I feel guilty about never finding a use for it so I still carry it with me wherever I go in memory of my Dad's good intentions.

I also have a beautiful big hard black Arkansas stone that probably cost $100 30+ years ago that I used maybe once.

I'm afraid I still use the biscuit joiner a lot. Wore one out and got a new one a couple years ago. Must have missed the memo on their becoming useless.

Hand held belt sander. Near useless in my hands. I can do more damage in less time with that thing than almost any other tool. But I'm with Bob with regards to my biscuit joiner. I use it on most every sheet goods cabinet and for outside molding corner joints. Norms method for attaching face frames to a plywood carcass using biscuits has to be about the simplest way of doing it that gives perfect registration. Anyway, I wouldn't want to be without it.

While I use my PC biscuit jointer some...It's the Delta benchtop version that I've never used, and should get rid of.

Ed

A Porter-Cable power planer. Attempted to use it perhaps twice in fifteen years, eventually sent it to the landfill.

I'll add a little twist to this assuming it's okay by the original poster. I too have various tools that hang on the wall or sit on the shelf that I hardly use anymore. These tools for me though, sit because they no longer serve a purpose because I've upgraded or got a better tools for the purpose. I can't throw away because these kind of tools got me into woodworking 30 years ago and at the time, all I could afford. What I do now is when I sell an item (in the process of upgrading my main tools to better quality tools) I list them on craigslist for almost nothing, sometimes $1, and direct the add toward a young, new woodworker. When they come by to pick up the tool, I normally include some of my older tools that they are very excited to get. It makes me feel good to maybe help someone get addicted to the craft and start creating things for their family.

Next think on the list is a power sander, with a 4 x 4 inch pad, can't remember the last time I used it and why in the world I bought it.

A set of spokeshaves and a drawknife. HAD to have them 30 years ago when I started woodworking, but haven't found out yet what they're used for. They still hang on pegs in my shop, collecting dust.