Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small mishaps...Bandaids alone?

Small mishaps...Bandaids alone?

Was posting on a least used tool thread, and the issue came up (me) of the too often utilized BandAids.

Want to mention that there is also some really cool tape out there called Coban. It sticks to itself and is kinda elastic. I have an industrial box of each.

Those two usually get the job done, along with some handy H2O2 for the blood on wood.

Well the last thing I want to hear in my shop is "Where are the band aids".

and yes that Coban is really good stuff, I have been told

Since I started using hand tools a couple years back, I cut my hands AT LEAST twice every weekend. Its astonishing how many ways there are to nick yourself with a handsaw, chisel, plane iron, marking gauge or knife. Like others, my bandaids are in an open box on top of my jointer plane. Sigh.

It's not my blades that get me, anymore.

It's the sharp corners I get from planing.
    If I move too fast, I get an unscheduled manicure.

The frustrating part is figuring out how it happened,
    I never notice - at first.

I regularly cut myself on the wood corner left by hand planing. I use masking tape first to stop bleeding onto the work. When i take a break and the bleeding has slowed I switch to a band aid.

Blog Entries
    I've started using liquid bandage instead of band aids. It stops the bleeding, after it does then I use a bandaid.

Generally my cuts are in places band aids won't stick. So I have started using superglue. I was skeptical at first, but it works great.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

When we were installing drug stores the job wasn't done if we didn't get cut some how. Must were just little nicks from card board or stab wounds from reaching in punch to get screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Generally my cuts are in places band aids won't stick. So I have started using superglue. I was skeptical at first, but it works great.

Tony
    Superglue works great. I was with my wife after she cut her finger with a kitchen knife, instead of stitches they used something similar. I asked the doctor if it was super glue and he said it was pretty much the same thing. Used it ever since and it does the job for smaller cuts, just clean it first.

I keep Coban in the shop, and use it often. Never on a cut. It makes a great semi-permanent tool handle wrap (flat wrenches), temporary clamp, couple loops to keep related parts together, etc. Good stuff, sticky, flexible and leaves little residue.
    earl

+1 on the superglue. I keep it in the shop and in the truck.
    -Lud

I just sign all my work in blood. I figuire I am going to get cut or poked on every project so why fight it.

Blog Entries
    I'm in the crowd where I get most cuts on the material not the cutter. During the crash a lot of grocery stores went out around here. Stock on the shelves went for a song and I have a large collection of many types of band-aids as a result. Equally as important as the band-aid to keep stuff out of a cut is Neosporin or other antibacterial goo. If I stop when I notice a cut, give a squirt of ointment and slap on a cover, the cut is pretty much gone in about half the time as when I ignore it for now and deal with it later. It is a no-brainer that we all have a first-aid kit in the shop, just stop for a moment and use it ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I just sign all my work in blood. I figuire I am going to get cut or poked on every project so why fight it.
    Too funny!

I thought I was the only one to own up to it.

Most of the time, it is a knuckle scrape.

I have learned the hard way to keep the moist hand wipes nearby so I can just get regular grime off my hands before handling prepped wood.

Superglue----I can tell you that it is best used on 'non-stressed' areas of skin. The infection rate is slightly higher with it.

Also, I must indeed owning up to, after saying something about how loosing your concentration was not tragic if you had sufficient muscle memory, or some such BS. "Right".

the next weekend, my right hand slipped down and the jointer caught the 3,4th fingers, just the tips. Bled like the devil. took a month to heal. The worst thing was the dreaded finger wagging from my wife and best friend. I managed to escape that wounding of the Pride.

So-clean your skin before applying the superglue; and when something I say doesn't sound quite right, just overlook it please.

I do a lot of work in hard maple and cherry. When I cut myself I just find some freshly made maple or cherry sawdust and pack it on the wound. In about 5-10 minutes it is clotted up, and all but what got wet falls away. If it is a small cut I can just pad a bit on and just keep working.