Thread: Bought some Disstons...need some help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bought some Disstons...need some help!

I bought several Disston saws while out yardsailing with the wife. I am just getting into Neaderthaling (a verb???) and don't have the cash for new saws so we went the vintage route. Honestly, I didn't really do too much homework before I pick several up, but for a dollar or two, can you really go that wrong? I have been pleasantly surprised as I have cleaned them up. Here are the two I need advice on: I found I picked up an older D8 28" and the handle is in great shape. Here is the catch: there is a kink/curve in the blade and a corresponding tooth missing (see pictures) I know a missing tooth isn't the end of the world, but I am concerned as to whether the kink is a deal breaker. I know there are guys who will "saw smith" it straight for $30-40 plus shipping costs. The question is whether the saw is worth that level of expense or is this something to chalk up to experience?

D8 flat.jpgD8 curve.jpgD8 handle.jpgD8 tooth.jpg
    The second saw is also an older Disston 12 (which is a good thing I think) at 24" and 10 tpi. As you can see in the photos the teeth (can you call them that anymore) aren't much there. Is this something a first time sharpener like myself can fix? Is it just a matter of jointing and refiling? As you guys can tell I am very new to all this, any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
    Dis12 teeth.jpg

Your big D8 rip saw is an excellent saw and worth getting it fixed up. I can't really speak to value but you won't find a better user. I have tried learning to smith my own saws but it is rather counter-intuitive and I would suggest practicing on less promising victims first. I think it is not an unreasonable candidate for sending to a saw doctor. Hopefully one will be able to inspect it and pass some preliminary judgement before sending you a large bill.

The no. 12 panel saw is an even better find- uncommon luck, really, if you got it for a couple of bucks. If the plate is straight it should be straightforward to file, but again I would recommend finding a couple of no-name, no-guilt saws to file first. I started sharpening my own a couple of years ago, and although I still don't get the prettiest results, I'm happy with the way my saws cut. Big toothed rip saws are the right thing to start learning on. 10 tpi crosscut isn't too bad if your eyes are good and your light is strong. You will probably want a 7-8 tpi cross cut saw for everyday rough cutting, and that would be a better saw to learn cross cut filing on.

Good luck. You're in for some fun.

Richard,

John is right. I have quite a few vintage handsaws, and I use several of them that I have cleaned up and had sharpened. The D-8s are great users, and most of my users are D-8s. I think a good vintage D-8 is a premium saw by todays standards. I would not spend in the neighbor hood of $40 to have one straightened, though, because you can buy one in decent shape for less than that on Ebay part of the time. That said, if the kink is not too bad, it may do OK to use "as is," but a lot of the time that is not the case, but you ought to try it first, once it is cleaned up and sharp. I would not get rid of the saw, however, because if the kink is near the tip it is possible to convert it to a shorter saw and make it into a great user, once you have learned your way around saws.

I read up on straitening kinks from hand saws on the net, and even asked about it here in a post quite a while back, and had very good luck straightening and then putting back the blade in shape, so it can be done with out paying someone if you are good with tools and willing to pay the price to read up on it. You should be able to find that post in this section, but back 6 months or more.

The #12 is an entirely different matter. DO NOT try to re-tooth or sharpen that saw yourself, until you have quite a bit of experience sharpening saws and are good at it. That saw, if cleaned up and if having minimal pitting and a handle in good condition, will sell for at least $100 on Ebay, and I have seen them sell for 2 to 3 times that much. That is NOT the saw for you to learn on.

The 12 is very much worth paying someone to re-tooth and sharpen, but make sure that the guy knows what he is doing. I have had good and bad results having saws sharpened in the past, it just depends on how good the guy is. I am learning sharpening myself, and have had some very good success in my first efforts.

I have quite a few vintage saws, and have cleaned up and use a few of them, with the rest waiting to be cleaned up and sharpened. In my group of Disston saws I don't even have one #12. At a price of a buck or two you just bought the equivalent of a big steak dinner at a very fancy restaurant for the price of gum ball from a gum machine.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-23-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Well, it is great to hear that my "learning experience" turned out pretty well. Unfortunately, the #12 does have what seems to me some bad pitting, however, I don't believe it will effect the cutting ability as it is towards the top of the saw and not so much near the teeth. Does anyone have an opinion, is this bad pitting for a saw? (again, pretty new at this)
    DSC_0675.JPGDSC_0674.JPGDSC_0676.JPG

Richard,

Based on what I can see from the photos of the #12, I think that the pitting is enough to reduce the price you could get for the saw on Ebay, but it still would go for some significant money, by my standards. However, I think the pitting is far enough away from the teeth, and minor enough that you still likely have an extremely good user. In my view this is still a very desirable saw.

Johns advise is also very good in my view. The big D-8 thumbhole rip saws may sell for more than the smaller ones, but I haven't studied up on that, so it is possible that the saw is worth more than I would have guessed and seen in the past. His suggestion on getting an opinion from a good sawyer before spending money seems like a good idea to me. However, from my reading, I found that in some cases even a very good and experience sawyer cannot always be successful in there efforts to fix every saw. Some of them even stated such on the net. Most of the time the good ones are successful, but you don't know.

When you get ready to clean up the #12, be sure to ask for advise here on the Neander forum. When I was young I cleaned up a saw or two, and made them good users, but wish I could do it over because today I would be more careful and know more. Because of this I would do a better job restoring them. You will get very good advise here on this forum.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-24-2014 at 12:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    The first post in the list of posts for the Neanderthal Haven is "Neanderthal Sticky Threads."

In that is a link to Neanderthal Wisdom / FAQ's:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...al-wisdom-FAQs

The first post in the FAQs has links to many other posts. Bob Smalser wrote a few on restoring saws and even how to get the kinks out. It is also known in sheet metal work as planishing. After all, a saw plate is a piece sheet metal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't think of these as monetary investments - think of them as quality tools at a bargain price.

Before you sharpen the teeth on the kinked saw, put on a pair of gloves and try to bend it by hand.
    I like to lay bent saws on a flat surface (my benchtop, for example) and lean on the kinked section,
    in the direction I want it corrected.

Lightly raise the handle end of the plate as you press with the heel of your other hand over the kink.

The objective isn't to get a dead straight plate - it's to get a saw that cuts straight.

The D-12 is a prized saw, no doubt.

The fact is that you've got a couple bucks into it, and if you
    pay a saw guru to sort it out - you still may not make a profit
    if you resell it. I recommend keeping it for your own use.

The handle isn't shown in your photos - if it looks like the plate,
    you've got a quality user, not a collector's item.

Be aware that costs for sharpening are considerable - files alone are expensive.

Matt Cianci posted a decent article in last month's Popular woodworking on the topic.
    The current Bahco triangular files are very good, last long enough to manage several
    saws and cost just under $10 each.

You'll need a vise to hold the saw plane, and decent shop lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9hYJXlLOME

Thanks Jim, I have the same feeling. I am not interested in reselling these saws, just for use in the shop and I have been really excited to discover that these are good saws. My question as to the value of the saws was in regards more to the D8. I don't want to send a saw away to have $30-40 worth of work done if there is a decent chance that i will find another like it in decent shape for $15-20. Sorry there isn't a picture of the D-12 handle, it's in OK shape. Horn is still there but chipped pretty badly. But all in all, I think it will be a fantastic user. Are the bigger D-8 ripping saws (or saws of similar quality0 fairly easy to find in good condition?

Blog Entries
    Hi Richard,

lots of good advice above. Couple thoughts on your questions

D-8 Thumbhole, particularly in 28" length are highly sought after- for good reason great users. Definitely worth fixing.

Per your pics, that kink isn't currently in "useable" condition. You need to straighten before using. Jim K's link to Bob Smaller's tutorial is the best place to look for instruction on straightening plates. Definitely not the easiest part of saw restoration. You'll need an anvil (or equivalent) and couple size hammers.

Jim M. is right -good place to start is with trying to straighten by bending against the bench top. This works well for gradual bends, particularly if you heat with a little boiling water. From what I can see in your pic, you're going to need a little smithing for that kink.

FWIW, I've got a fairly serious "saw problem", and for me smithing is not a 100% solution. You'll definitely be able to significantly improve what you have now. If it's your 1st. Attempt probably be tough to expect it will be perfectly straight. Certainly will be useable and excellent raw material, without risking damage to a rare, super collectable saw. I encourage you to give it a try if you're interested in expanding your use of hand saws (which I heartily encourage!).

The #12 is Disston's pre-1900 top of the line and IMHO, among best saws ever produced. The pitting is 100% cosmetic -won't effect functionality at all. I agree with Stew; teeth need re-profiling which is bigger job than just sharpening. You need to establish the desired geometry , spacing and set. Because of the quality/potential of #12 and the amount of work you need, you probably don't want to make this your first saw to sharpen.

IMHO an investment in having this saw sharpened by a pro will be repaid many times over with push down slippery saw slope : "Hey, I never knew a saw could cut this easily and accurately", followed quickly by "I'm going to need some more of these" ��.

All the best, Mike

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and input. It's nice to know I have a place I can go to get encouragement for my addiction; nothing like a couple of kind strangers to help push you down the slippery slope of tool collecting, restoring, etc. Any other comments, tips or suggestions are very welcome. Thanks guys!

I think I'm in the same boat. I must warn you, it may seem safe to limit yourself to not spending more than $5.00 on a saw, but it isn't.

This is just 'project rack', not counting the ones I have disassembled or my users. I don't even want them to be honest. I just feel like if I don't buy them, someone is going to paint a farm scene on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    The #12 is Disston's pre-1900 top of the line and IMHO, among best saws ever produced. The pitting is 100% cosmetic -won't effect functionality at all. I agree with Stew; teeth need re-profiling which is bigger job than just sharpening. You need to establish the desired geometry , spacing and set. Because of the quality/potential of #12 and the amount of work you need, you probably don't want to make this your first saw to sharpen.

All the best, Mike
    I own one of Mike's saws.
    I intend to be buried with it,
    if I don't wear it out in my lifetime.

He's too modest to mention it,
    but he really does know what he's about.

He's also adept at rehabilitating saws like these.
    (* hint *)

Jim,

Good point, and I believe others have mentioned the work that Mike does. If I ever have the blessing of getting a #12 like Richard found, that needs some work, I would very likely send it to Mike. You don't find a saw like a #12 at a reasonable price very often, so if I ever do, I am not going to risk fooling with it myself. I have worked on my saws that are cheaper, but wouldn't take a chance with a #12.

In my view, a #12, or a saw like Mike or Ron make is a tool to enjoy for a lifetime.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-25-2014 at 9:56 AM.