Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm....speechless...Mafell PSS3100e

Nope. No Maffel Jig saw here.

Bandsaw, Mortiser and Planer are the popular ones.

The motorised track saw has been around for a while. It seems not bad for the money when you consider the alternatives: http://timberwolftools.com/tools/maf...PSS3100se.html

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Ancona View Post
    Not a hijack here but has anyone tried the Maffel jigsaw? All the brands including Festool say they cut straight and true including thick stock but have yet to experience truly great ( as advertised ) results. The older Bosch I found to better than the new barrel Carvex but neither spectacular, Kent, Rick, any hands on?

Nope. Was cueless about Maffel until this thread. THE jig saw seems focused on exacty the problems I have always run into - vertical cut on curves; the ability to cut a no-fooling straight line; dust collection. PLus 900 watts converts to 1.2 HP. In a jigsaw?

I skimmed thru the specs on teh Festool PS 300 EQ, and it hits all those buttons as well - HP is slightly less than 1.

But - the Festool is available for $275. THe Maffell is $700. It has a few more included accessories, but still - - I'll take the leap of faith that you're getting some kind of value for that extra $425.

It must be an amazing tool.

I'm really not much of a jigsaw guy - no pressing need for one. What I do have is a pretty cool low-use killer: PC 548 Bayonet saw. Not really a jig saw, in terms of suitability for fine curves, etc. It is more of a construction-grade tool - worm & gear drive, etc., full metal encasing. Very compact. One heavy-duty monster.

I use it for rough breakdown of rough lumber: cutting the blanks out of the rough lumber, and getting the basic layout [grain alignment, overall / oversized dimensions, defect cutting]. Don't have to use the all-the way through cuts from the CMS; Don't have to deal with the sweeping kerf and fine dust from a circ saw. And, man-o-man, is it perfect for that job - I go through 8/4 and sometimes beyond. Don't have to get in a wrasslin match with 6/4 x 12" x 14' QSWO boards. Chalk the outlines, and go get 'em.

Or on the occasional renovation-type task, the 548 will do blind plunge cuts through anything.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent, thanks! I took a trip down memory lane after reading that post . Got thinking about all the metal PC and Rockwell tools I USED to have, HD in every respect. That was and in your case still is a great JS !

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Ancona View Post
    Kent, thanks! I took a trip down memory lane after reading that post . Got thinking about all the metal PC and Rockwell tools I USED to have, HD in every respect. That was and in your case still is a great JS !

Had it for > 15 years. And - 4 years ago, I bought froma Creeker the incomparable PC 314. Small dia circle saw, also worm-and-gear drive, also full metal casing.

Clearly, that pair was intended for no-kidding-around job-site work including contests to see high off the first-floor subdeck you can get them to bounce from the 2d floor's rafters.............

I don't do the type of work they were originally intended for, but I love those 2 saws. Even have a Forrest blade for the circ saw - unreal quality of cut. Neither gets a get a lot of use, but will never get out of my hands.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I love my Festool track saw, but this is really a step up! I especially like that the dust hose is integrated into the track.
    Jack-Bench
    Adjustable Height Workbench Plans

8. With one of them, I may be able to lay myself off

Quote Originally Posted by mark woodmark View Post
    with one of them, i may be able to lay myself off
    rotflmao!!!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

10. I'd buy one tomorrow if it came with that snazzy vest/bell bottom outfit!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    With one of them, I may be able to lay myself off
    Bought one and fired myself. I did this instead of laying myself off, because I don't like myself and wanted to enjoy the power I felt at the hurt of the loss to myself......Now I can go on vacation and collect unemployment!

That video reminded me of one of Frank Howarth's stop-motion videos where the circular saw rips all by itself along a line without a track.