Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 46 Years!!!!

46 Years!!!!

It was October 1968. I was 19 riding in the back seat of a friend's '66 Chevy guarding the beer as we cruised the gravel roads consuming said suds. In the dark I could see the outlines of the heads of my two drinking buddies. I was leaving for US Navy bootcamp in a few days so we wouldn't be doing this very much longer. "You know what I'd like?" I asked. "What?" was their reply. "I'd like a date with a blonde who's got a good personality" I responded. In the dark, I could see the outline of their heads turn towards each other. "We know the girl...where do want meet her?" they replied. My response "Mr. Quicks....dinner and a movie." (No....I didn't mean dinner at Mr. Quicks, a local hamburger joint on the "drag" all the local young people dragged.)

The next day I washed and waxed my '64 SS Impala convertible. That evening, I was sitting in the parking lot of Mr. Quicks when a '64 green Mercury pulled up beside me. To this day I am still surprised this shy little blonde had the nerve to get out, walk up to my car and say "Are you Ken? I'm Sharon and I'm your date."

3 days later on our 3rd date, I asked her to marry me. 9 days later I left for US Navy bootcamp after signing over my savings and checking accounts. I came home on Christmas boot camp leave and we were married on Christmas Eve.

She was a young blonde divorcee with 2 kids ages, 3 and 2. Two years later I adopted those two kids and a couple years later we had one more. We have 3 kids, 8 grandkids and 7 great-grandkids.

I nearly lost her to a deadly, rare form of cancer 22 years ago. She's the glue that holds our family together. She adds color to my life. We are so different and yet we complement each other so well. I'd be a lost soul with out her presence in my life. She's my worst critic and my best friend.

I am blessed by having her in my life!

46a.jpg46b.jpg
    These are the only two existing photos of our wedding.

210a.jpg
    Taken on the shores of Lake Pukaki, South Island, NZ March 2014.

We have come a long ways together!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-24-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Ken and Sharon! I love this story.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

46 years! Congratulations to both of you! Sharon must be a saint but you already know that!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow. What a cool story. Happy Anniversary, you two! And Merry Christmas!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Ken, to you and the Mrs.

And she has put up with you for 46 years, she is one strong lady....

Congratulations to both of you and Happy Holidays....

You've been punching above your weight class for quite a while, Ken.

Congratualtions.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

46 years and no restraining orders? Remarkable lady to be certain. Congrats to you both and many more to come!!!!!

What a great story. Congrats to you both.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

What happened to the Impala?

Blog Entries
    Congratulations. My wife, Sue, and I were also married on Christmas Eve, 44 years ago.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Congratulations. My wife, Sue, and I were also married on Christmas Eve, 44 years ago.
    Happy anniversary to you and Sue, Lee!
    Ken

Happy anniversary you two!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    And happy anniversary to you guys as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    What happened to the Impala?
    I sold it to the drinking buddy who was riding shotgun that night. A few months later after he'd had too much to drink, at an excessive speed he hit a parked Caddy with it and totaled it. He survived with only minor injuries.
    Ken