Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most used 'gotta have it' tools

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    The most surprising thing has been a little Sears 12" old beat up bandsaw my BF dropped off several years ago. At the time, I had not really even started ww, and thought--what a piece of junk.

Now, it is a joke b/t us that I use that little saw more than anything else.

And, the SawStop that my wife said "get it" when she saw the DVD is used a lot (see previous post on BandAid use).
    I have a 12" Sears sander/bandsaw and I am really happy with it. So happy that when I eventually replace my contractor tablesaw with a big bandsaw, I will keep the Sears saw with a really small TPI blade for scrolling.
    I use that saw all the time.
    Paul

Powermatic 66. Few things happen in my shop that don't cross it's table.close second is almost everything else.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Blog Entries
    My favorite tool that gets used on nearly every project I make is the little chamfering plane that I made several years ago.bevelplane.jpg

The sides are curly maple and the sole is bubinga. It allows me to soften the edges of boards from a very slight amount to a visible bevel with just a few passes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a really good "set" of old chisels, they get used on every project, I can't think of any exceptions. Fine, the table saws too, but that's too easy.

My DeWalt 7790 RAS. I went through five or six different saws till I got this one maybe 15 years ago. I use it a little more than I use the TS, and almost all crosscutting is done on it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I don't need any tools. I can find everything I need in nature. Tools just make it easier. One tool I would not want to be without is my thumbs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I am going to say my vintage Starrett inside/outside Calipers and Dividers. I did not buy them all in one place or all at one time but I have what I consider to be a complete set for my purposes...all of them bought used. Would not be without them and set up several at a time for a particular job so I don't have to adjust them for different dims of the same job.

veritas edge iron, great for removing saw marks from edges of boards.

Random Orbital Sander

Its used on every project and job and I remember when the only sanding option we had was a sanding block

Hand tool: Definitely calipers
    Power Tool: Lobo 37" belt sander

Random orbital sander, 4" and 6" Igaging double squares.

Nupla Dead Blow Hammer

7" Craftsman Combination Square
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Table saw. Most used for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Pighetti View Post
    Spin off of the other thread...

For me, my homebuilt CNC router!

Attachment 302642
    Band saw and wood lathe for me....

Tell me more about your homebuild..... Here or PM, I've wanted one for a long time, but have yet to make the jump.

Power: Between shop and household DIY use, my Bosch 12v drill/impact drivers have far-and-away seen the most use. In the shop alone between the table saw and ROS.

Hand: Probably my Starrett squares and tape.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)