Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall mounted panel clamp system

Wall mounted panel clamp system

Anyone have advise for the above? My shop is small and the current struggle with bench top glue/clamp/move, repeat is getting old. Have some recently acquired wall space. Most panels I do are at most 3ft by 4 feet. Nothing gigantic.

I had Plano clamps for years. They worked pretty well if you took some care in getting edges aligned before tightening.
    JR

Google "Hawk’s Vertical Clamping System" they used to make a wall mounted clamping system that you can make your self with pipe clamps. I know a guy who has one and they work pretty well.

If you Google it you will see pictures of what I am talking about...

http://toolmonger.com/2007/12/05/sav...amping-system/

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/wall-m...d-panel-press/
    Last edited by richard poitras; 12-25-2014 at 12:05 AM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I think it would be clumsy to try and do a panel glue-up that way and for me, a guy with propensity to use extra glue, just to be sure, the glue drips would go right on to the face of the panels. Just my 2c. Now, if you were to hinge it to the wall somehow and still be able to assemble everything laying flat ...

Like Pat, I prefer to at least do the glue up with the clamps laid out horizontally. Generally, after getting the clamps tightened I take the assembly and stand it up in a corner so I can do another or use the space for something else. It would be easy to make a bracket mounted on the wall from which the clamped up arrangement could hang.

Wall mouted clamp system using a few dollars in lumber and hardware along with some pipe clamps. Using existing clamps, I have less than $20 invested in this, and it will be among the first pieces done when my shop is relocated.

(not my image)
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Bill, that's a pretty slick idea, but isn't a bit awkward cranking the handles at the bottom like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I think it would be clumsy to try and do a panel glue-up that way and for me, a guy with propensity to use extra glue, just to be sure, the glue drips would go right on to the face of the panels. Just my 2c. Now, if you were to hinge it to the wall somehow and still be able to assemble everything laying flat ...
    that is a great idea!

What about the old "rub joint" I think I read about somewhere. Back in the prior centuries, they just stacked the boards vertically, and the weight of them held?

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    that is a great idea!

What about the old "rub joint" I think I read about somewhere. Back in the prior centuries, they just stacked the boards vertically, and the weight of them held?
    That brings up an interesting concept. With modern glues, how much clamping pressure is REALLY needed? Do we tend to use too much clamp pressure?

Found it--@ a high price

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    I had Plano clamps for years. They worked pretty well if you took some care in getting edges aligned before tightening.
    Yes, that is exactly it! Plano for $349. It is great, though, cause it also acts as a caul.

Once I typed in 'vertical' the results came in.

Kinda pricey. Maybe for my birthday in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    That brings up an interesting concept. With modern glues, how much clamping pressure is REALLY needed? Do we tend to use too much clamp pressure?
    Fine Woodworking did an blog/article on this (issue #194, Blog May 11, 2010). Maple needs 1,200 lb/sq. in. flatsawn, Oak 900 lb/sq. in. Pine 150 lb/sq. in. etc. for best results. They also found the 'average woodworker' can crank 1,050 pounds pressure on a 3/4" pipe clamp.
    Last edited by Harvey Miller; 12-26-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    Bill, that's a pretty slick idea, but isn't a bit awkward cranking the handles at the bottom like that?
    My shop is being dismantled and packed for a move, but I did assemble temporarily for the last piece that is coming out of this shop. No problem at all. Mine has the handles just a little higher than the pic, and I didn't find it at all awkward.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

If you really want to get the Plano vertical press clamp system, Peachtree woodworking sells their version call PanelMax. I believe they are virtually the same. If you have a 'Woodworking Show' near you, you can pick up a set at the Peachtree booth for $199, or a least that's what they sold them for the past couple of years.
    I have two sets I bought at the last two shows. I used them for a while, but don't feel that they register panel glue ups as well as my shop made wood cauls. They are currently sitting in my shop loft, unused.

Yes, that is exactly it! Plano for $349. It is great, though, cause it also acts as a caul.

Hey David,
    Look at this. The Woodworking Show is in Atlanta the beginning of March.
    http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/webapp-shows/Atlanta
    Happy Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heffernan View Post
    If you really want to get the Plano vertical press clamp system, Peachtree woodworking sells their version call PanelMax. I believe they are virtually the same. If you have a 'Woodworking Show' near you, you can pick up a set at the Peachtree booth for $199, or a least that's what they sold them for the past couple of years.
    I just checked, Peachtree WW is the same price.