Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best HF tool

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I'm not going to disagree since I don't have any ads handy, just a pile of coupons. I do know that when I tried to use a freebie coupon a while back, I was told that I had to make a full-price purchase and they only allowed one coupon per purchase, I could use either the free one or a discount one, not both. That could have been the store though, I have no idea.
    Not at our HF. No need to buy any thing to get the freebies. My dad and I do it once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I've got a pile of their free multimeters, the ones you get free with any purchase and a coupon. I got one of their digital calipers but it lasted a week or so until the battery ran out and there is no way to replace the batteries.
    My first pair of digital calipers ATE BATTERIES for lunch. Held of for a couple years before buying second pair, which don't eat batteries. When purchasing second set, mentioned that first set ate batteries. Manager said "Bring them back." I reminded him that I had them for a couple years, so warranty had run out. He said " No problem as new ones were same stock number." Took his advice, second and replacement sets work nicely. I have a pile of the multimeters. When someone borrows one, I tell them to keep it. The problem with the free flashlights, other than the smell, is the batteries leak. Change them out the first day you have it, and you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    My first pair of digital calipers ATE BATTERIES for lunch. Held of for a couple years before buying second pair, which don't eat batteries. When purchasing second set, mentioned that first set ate batteries. Manager said "Bring them back." I reminded him that I had them for a couple years, so warranty had run out. He said " No problem as new ones were same stock number." Took his advice, second and replacement sets work nicely. I have a pile of the multimeters. When someone borrows one, I tell them to keep it. The problem with the free flashlights, other than the smell, is the batteries leak. Change them out the first day you have it, and you are good to go.
    I have some nice digital calipers, the set I got from HF literally has no way to replace the batteries, they are embedded inside the plastic, no door. When they're dead, you throw the calipers away. I've got them hanging around, they're occasionally useful to transfer a measurement from one piece to another. The flashlights are useful, I got a bunch of them a while back for the guys at work to put on their keychains, it's easy light when they need them and it makes the keys too big to easily lose.

Blog Entries
    My HF digital calipers are good so far, over a year old. I have the $90 1-1/8" SDS rotary hammer, used it for demo and some bigger holes in concrete, so far, so good. 1/2" breaker bar, not broken yet, and a few other odds and ends, nothing to complain about. I tend to go to HF for tools I won't be using frequently.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Not at our HF. No need to buy any thing to get the freebies. My dad and I do it once a month.
    I just got a couple of flyers from HF today and I took a look at the small print. The freebie coupons specifically say "free with any purchase", but the small print says "cannot be used with any other coupon, discount or prior purchase". I guess some stores may ignore the small print, but that's officially what HF corporate has to say on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My HF digital calipers are good so far, over a year old. I have the $90 1-1/8" SDS rotary hammer, used it for demo and some bigger holes in concrete, so far, so good. 1/2" breaker bar, not broken yet, and a few other odds and ends, nothing to complain about. I tend to go to HF for tools I won't be using frequently.
    Like I said, I have a nice set anyhow, the Starrett 799a, I think I got this cheap piece of crap from HF for free on a coupon a long time ago. I went and looked at reviews for it on the HF site and people were talking about removing the battery so maybe it's possible. I went out and grabbed it and there appear to be two tiny screws in one side, maybe the size of eyeglass screws, maybe if you take those out, you can replace the batteries. The HF site says the batteries are good for a year, that certainly wasn't my experience, but that doesn't mean people weren't playing with it in-store and I got one that was almost exhausted.

The clamps are pretty well priced at HF.

OK I guess I am a kind of a fan of Harbor Freight...

Their SDS hammer drill rocks for my needs.

I bought their sawmill on discount and could not be happier for the price delivered.

Their 20 ton hydraulic press is a good value and has worked well for me.

The 42" toolbox for $360 or so is wonderful...I bought two of them...

Bash them if you like...but there are a lot of good values there if you use common sense.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fusick View Post
    The clamps are pretty well priced at HF.
    And you can never have too many clamps.

I consider the wood jaw hand-screw-clamps to be one of their best values. I suggest you buy two of them every time you go to their store (in each of the sizes), until you know you have too many. And you can never have too many.

Lornie

Just thought of another HF-GEM: they have some "Ammo Boxes" - they look like military 30 cal or 50 cal ammo cans, except smaller and made of a rugged plastic. (Maybe they are sized for the current 6.52mm plastic rifle ammo. I wouldn't know: my last army issue weapon was an M-14, and I trained with an M-1. Boy do I love my M-1. It'll NEVER die...)

At any rate the "ammo can" is a great buy. I have several, and keep them set up as "go help out a friend" kits with mostly hand tools.
    You can stick labels on them, or paint them or whatever you want, and they are sturdy enough to protect that-which-is-inside.