Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best HF tool

Best HF tool

A fellow who was a broker for power equipment told me yrs ago that the best brand @ HF is Chicago.

Had a pneumatic paint shaker that was great. Needed frequent lubing, but was great.

Lots of the plastic/rubber stuff has broken early on.

Probably the most I have from there is the assortment set of nuts/bolts.

Anyone found any brand or tool from HF is reliably a durable economical tool?

I like their dead blow hammers and 2hp dust collector. I did get a set of combination wrenches to take to trade shows as my good ones get lifted that are my go to set when I work in the field. Love their free flash lights and scissors

+1 on the db hammers. Also find their air tool equipment (spray guns, pressure pots, blasting cabinets,) to be more than adequate for my hobbyist use. I bought a heat gun which lasted about 30 seconds.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I guess it's time for another HF thread! There are a couple websites dedicated to HF gems by the way.

Personally, I've been very happy with my HF power tool purchases. No comparison for the money IMHO. The the two that stick out in my mind the most are my angle grinder (probably the loudest tool in my shop but it works) and my narrow crown stapler. i think i spent $10 or $15 on each.

A few years back I bought one of their hydraulic lift table/carts. I thought it would a one time use thing, to install our wall mounted oven, at that time.
    I gotta tell you though, I use that little hydraulic table a lot more than I thought I would. I just used it to get a Delta Shaper, and a snowblower, out of the truck bed, and I constantly use it to bring things I'm working on in the garage to a more convenient height.
    The other item I have is an electric log splitter. It gets used virtually everyday during the winter. It sits right by the wood stove in the basement. Sorry, I'm a wimp. My shoulders are blown and using a mini maul was really aggravating the injuries. My wife can also split the wood as needed to keep the stove going.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Their hydraulic jacks and lifts seem to be ok. I have the large motorcycle lift platform made into an assembly table, a lift cart and hydraulic jacks, which seem to all be fine. Seems hydraulic jacks have been built in China for a long time. I also buy the assortment packs of various items. Handy to have those assortments around. Also buy their chain hooks.

they have some Japanese flush cut-saws that I think are a bargain.

Their F style bar clamps are a good value, especially if you need a bunch of 'em. They're not Bessy but sometimes 3 HF are better than 1 Bessy. We have an appliance dolly from HF we've used a number of times and their engine hoist can be useful for loading and unloading heavy items from a truck.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-25-2014 at 9:50 AM.

I have the 20 ton shop press, 18 gauge narrow crown stapler, nitrile gloves, and F style clamps have all been excellent and pay for themselves first use.

Been using a benchtop 5 speed drill press from there....for a few years. Only thing that was needed on that $70 tool was a $0.49 set screw in a pulley.

Have the Windsor #33 handplane ($10) and made it into one of the best scrub planes around

Stopped in there a while back, and bought a bunch of belts for the 1" x 30" sander. And a few for the 3 x 21 beltsander.

Two levels of "Chicago Tools" are in use @ HF.. IF it says just Chicago, it is the cheapy one, the other is a Chicago Professional line. It is their top-of-the-line models.

Wife won't even go in the door at one of these stores......says it STINKS inside....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Wife won't even go in the door at one of these stores......says it STINKS inside....
    I must admit I like that smell. Screams tool store to my nose!

For me it was the drill chuck with #2 more taper for use in my lathe. Must have saved around 20 bucks instead of going with a woodcraft or other kind of purchase for the same tool.

What could go wrong?!

Obviously there is a demand for the tools they sell or they wouldn't be successful. And sometimes nobody else has that special little widget that you need.

I can't help being cautious though. I look at their tools and think, "if this breaks how bad am I going to be hurt?".

I was recently at one of the big box stores and saw an unknown brand of high-speed pneumatic right angle grinders including four free 4" cutter/grinding discs, on sale for $9.99. What could go wrong?!

Scott in Montana
    Last edited by Scott Stafford; 12-25-2014 at 2:13 PM.

There isn't much with a tail that I'd buy at HF, but their air nailers are virtually impossible to kill and for the price, you can't go wrong.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-st...net-68784.html

This really isn't bad. I have one and I'm satisfied. Now, it says "Industrial", and that's a load of cow you know what. The biggest drawer is only good for 80lbs. The rest of the drawers are good for something like 50lbs. Not quite industrial. My heavy duty Craftsman can take 100lbs in every drawer. Snap-on will take even more. So it's not industrial by any means, but it's pretty high quality and unless you're stuffing them full of mechanics tools, it will serve you well.