Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osborne EB3 Miter Gauge

Osborne EB3 Miter Gauge

Does anyone have any experience with this Osborne EB3 Miter gauge ?? I am thinking about buying one.

Thanks,
    Carlos

http://www.newyankee.com/tool_photos/EB-3.gif

I bought one and really like it. I bought it to replace the standard protractor type that came with my Grizzy cabinet saw. The EB-3 acts like a sort of crosscut/miter sled in that it gives more support to the work piece, than a protractor would.Bruce

I Have One

I have had one for about a year. It works really well and is accurate. I like the flip stop and adjustable length. The width of the miter slot bar is slightly adjustable via tapered screws that force the bar to bulge at a few locations. It is well made and seems to be durable.

I use a shop-made sled often, but use the Osborne when the sled is not appropriate.

Recomended.

-Andy

I have one and I love it! (A photo for the pic Police )

It's everything the other folks said it is. It's pretty durable too.

hth,
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

You might want to look at the WoodHaven (really love it) miter gauge and its associated accessories. I've had the gauge for a while and just today I ordered several accessories for it. I probably should have ordered one of their packages when I ordered the gauge itself - I bet I would have saved some money.

Anyways..

Good luck,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I bought one and had trouble with it. They replaced it with another one and that one had accuracy problems. I gave it to a friend of mine for parts and bought a Woodhaven gauge. I love the Woodhaven!

Woodhaven
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

?? For Bruce, Andrew & John

How Long have you had your EB-3's? I was getting close to buying one when they sold out to one of the Canadian co's and then they started having all kinds of problems with their manufacturing process, so I held off. I figured they would eventually get their problems worked out since the earlier ones got very good reviews, but the new Co's customer svc didn't seem to be much help at the time. I still want one, but I also want to be sure that the ones they are delivering now have had the problems taken care of and the quality is back up to the original standards.

Thanks for any information you might have in this respect.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt
    How Long have you had your EB-3's? I was getting close to buying one when they sold out to one of the Canadian co's and then they started having all kinds of problems with their manufacturing process, so I held off. I figured they would eventually get their problems worked out since the earlier ones got very good reviews, but the new Co's customer svc didn't seem to be much help at the time. I still want one, but I also want to be sure that the ones they are delivering now have had the problems taken care of and the quality is back up to the original standards.

Thanks for any information you might have in this respect.
    I've had mine for almost 2 years.

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt
    How Long have you had your EB-3's?
    I purchased mine in January 2003...just looked it up in Amazon history.

Stealth gloat: I just bought a used Unisaw to put under it. Can't wait to get it into my shop so my miter guage will look like John's!

-Andy
    Last edited by Andrew Ault; 07-20-2005 at 6:37 PM.

I've had mine for about 9 Months. I bought it through Amazon.com. The first one was broken is shipment. One of the finger nuts was broken and appeared to be plastic. My replacement was fine. I took it apart and found that the questionable piece was different (Metal) than the first one. As far as accuracy goes the concentric pivot screw can be a bit hard to adjust. It takes just a little bit of movement to make an adjustment.
    Since I bought mine, I see that Dewalt has produced a Clone http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...fcode=06INOSMX

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Overholt
    I've had mine for about 9 Months. I bought it through Amazon.com. The first one was broken is shipment. One of the finger nuts was broken and appeared to be plastic. My replacement was fine. I took it apart and found that the questionable piece was different (Metal) than the first one. As far as accuracy goes the concentric pivot screw can be a bit hard to adjust. It takes just a little bit of movement to make an adjustment.
    Since I bought mine, I see that Dewalt has produced a Clone

Bruce
    Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like John's and Andrew's were purchased "BEFORE" the problems started showing up IIRC, but yours must have been made after that. It's interesting that you should mention the DeWalt clone, (I was thinking it was Delta, but maybe that's just CRS kicking in, ), as I saw a pic of one "ONE TIME" in a catalogue or ad, and made a post about it, but got no replies, then when I went back to look for it, couldn't find it, and kinda forgot about it since I never saw it show up again. Where did you see it?
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I don't think the fence on the Dewalt has an extension that slides out on it. I have an EB3 that I purchased last December. It had a little "slop" in the stop for each of the miter adjustments. One phone call to the company had a replacement part within a week. The "slop" was not great, but I was not satisfied and they fixed it. I also have an Incra 1000se and seem to always reach for the Osborne, but can not say that I favor one over the other for any particular reason.

John

I have never actually seen or touched the Dewalt clone. I just came across it while shopping on the internet. As to the slop in the EB-3, I just keep the detent pin pressed while I lock it down.

Bruce

I'm the lucky friend who received Tom's faulty EB-3, and have mounted it in a crosscut sled. It's great at 90, but is off when angled in either direction. It's a nice gauge with a nice fence that I'm able to get some use out of, but his Woodhaven looks bulletproof compared to the Osborne. The EB-3 is alot more complex...there's much less that can go wrong with the Woodhaven.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Overholt
    I have never actually seen or touched the Dewalt clone. I just came across it while shopping on the internet. As to the slop in the EB-3, I just keep the detent pin pressed while I lock it down.

Bruce
    Bruce,

It was the assembly the detent pin was included on that needed replaced. It had enough slop that you could be off a degree or two with the pin engaged.

John