Thread: Anyone have problems with a PC router with soft start/variable speed? Possible fix.

Anyone have problems with a PC router with soft start/variable speed? Possible fix.

I have an older PC 8529 that the speed control quit working on a bunch of years ago. It was 3 years old when it started acting up, but only had about 3 hours use on it. But out of warranty. New speed control was over a hundred bucks...out of the question especially when PC couldn't answer my question about it being better quality than the original. So I took the soft start/speed control out and wired it full on. Worked fine. I did a search a few years ago and found a possible fix, but hadn't tried it. Well I splurged and bought 4 capacitors, only needed 2 for the repair, but at $0.51 each and my 7518 having issues, I doubled the order since it was free shipping that day (Radio Shack) in hopes that the same issue was starting on the 7518. Finally got around to trying the repair today....Best $2.31 I've ever spent! 8529 works like new. If anyone has a PC router with soft start and variable speed that isn't working right, let me know and I'll PM you the website I followed at the WoodworkingTalk forum.
    Hope everyone is having a great Christmas today! I know I just made my own day! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Great news Jim and thank you for posting,I sent you a pm for the information.I was dreading the day when my PC's bites the dirt now I feel better-----Carroll

Jim, I have two that I have jumped the speed control and one that is acting up when under heavy load. I would love to know how to fix them.

You are the bomb!

Thanks, Larry

I have had several routers stop working because the brushes get hung-up with sawdust. The ones mounted in a router table are the worst offenders. I just take the motor apart, clean everything, and reassemble. Worn brushes can also give problems if the router has lots of hours on it.

Robert

I found that web site Jim references -- about two weeks AFTER I threw the variable speed module for my 8529 out. Grrrr.

Larry, sent a PM to you just now. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

7. New to the Creek. My 8529 is also in need of repair. Please forward your repair article as this has been a work horse in my shop.

Thanks for the help.

Jim,

I sent you a PM. Hope your fix applies to my Hitachi M12V2, also experiencing problems with the variable speed control.

Pete