Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: small random orbit sanders

When will a reasonably priced ($100 range) electric small ROS be available for turners? Everyone needs to put the work out of the need. The air ROS are out of most turners league.

Grant - What size is the connection for dust collection on the Metabo? Have you used it?

3. I ordered the Metabo unit referenced earlier in this thread.......supposed to arrive tomorrow. I noticed that the metabo discs have holes to facilitate dust collection. I am going to use Vince's discs without holes and continue to collect the dust with my dust collector intake right by the piece being sanded.......to me that just seems like a better way to control dust in the shop and keep it out of my lungs. YMMV!

I am getting this mostly to help eliminate scratches more efficiently than standard sanding pads, but I will use the interface pads from Vince as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Brad: I just went down to measure the dust port and it is about 1 1/8" OD. When I first got the sander, I rigged up a hose to my shop vac and used the disks that came with the sander. My shop vac is old and noisy and I used that setup up once, as I recall. Since then, I use Vince's disks and they are solid. This sander does not generate a lot of dust, not at all like my angle grinder that I use for fast sanding. So, the dust factor is not an issue for me.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

No air?
    I bought a Mirka CEROS 3" ROS that is exactly like an air sander but uses DC power(from a supplied converter). It is extremely quite and when paired with Mirka Abronet discs, it is virtually dustless. Like an air sander, it is low profile, light, controlled with the palm of your hand, and comfortable. I think it is the best electric ROS available(for flat and round work).
    Drawback? expensive!

Thanks Grant. I would think using Vince's Abranet disks would work well with this and still allow you to use dust collection, though you would still have the noise. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    No air?
    I bought a Mirka CEROS 3" ROS that is exactly like an air sander but uses DC power(from a supplied converter). It is extremely quite and when paired with Mirka Abronet discs, it is virtually dustless. Like an air sander, it is low profile, light, controlled with the palm of your hand, and comfortable. I think it is the best electric ROS available(for flat and round work).
    Drawback? expensive!
    john, if you use the Mirka dust collector, how is it for noise? Any better than a regular shop vac?
    Trevor

That looks sweet, John. I'm not sure how well it would fit into the interior of a bowl, but it looks very fine. At over $500 Cdn, it's out of my snack bracket.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Read somewhere that you need an 80 gal compressor to run the HF air powered one. Guess I'll pass on that since I only have a 26 gal compressor. I put the Metabo on my amazon wish list for now since I just ordered the EWT easy chuck & jaws from CSUSA. I can see using the Metabo ros for projects other than turning, too. So many tools, so little money.. tisk, tisk..
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Just a quick note if ever anyone need some sanding discs samples please let me know what size and I will be happy to send them to you.

Thanks, Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

I'd take you up on that, Vince, but I'm pretty sure that I've received my quota of samples from you over the years. As a note to others in this discussion, IMNSHO, Vince is the best, bar none.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I ordered the Metabo unit referenced earlier in this thread.......supposed to arrive tomorrow. I noticed that the metabo discs have holes to facilitate dust collection. I am going to use Vince's discs without holes and continue to collect the dust with my dust collector intake right by the piece being sanded.......to me that just seems like a better way to control dust in the shop and keep it out of my lungs. YMMV!

I am getting this mostly to help eliminate scratches more efficiently than standard sanding pads, but I will use the interface pads from Vince as well.
    Roger,
    I recently used my metabo for the first time and almost burned up the shop. Well, not really, but I did melt the Velcro pad off of the Metabo interface pad. I was using Vinces blue disc (maybe 100 grit?) WITHOUT any holes. I've done a lot of power sanding with various drills and have never had this happen. I'm wondering that, since it is random orbiting, if it needs the holes for circulation/cooling of the disc? Just a heads-up. If you start without holes in the sanding discs, monitor the temp of the disc. I'll be interested in hearing what you experience.

13. I had a communication with Vince this morning and he stated for lower grits like 80-120 it is better to use a drill as they cut away tool marks & rough grain. He said use the metabo with a radius interface pad added and not just the metabo pad supplied because it will foul by itself. The upper grits are for your best surface so use the Metabo on these.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    When will a reasonably priced ($100 range) electric small ROS be available for turners? Everyone needs to put the work out of the need. The air ROS are out of most turners league.
    Tom. The Metabo is $125 on Amazon the last time I checked. I put it on my wishlist.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

i've had a Fein vacuum for at least 12 years. I can plug in my smaller power tools ( SCMS, disk sander, ROS, etc.) to it and have it come on via the power switch on the tool. I've bought some rubber coupler fittings on Amazon for hooking up to various tools. If the hose coupler and tool port do not match, you can slightly slit the rubber coupler, fit it, and use electricians tape on the coupler to hold the fitted opening. I get mine at HF 5 rolls for a buck. The Fein vac is not quiet but it's not anywhere near as loud as my DC.

stan
    Project Salvager