Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Augar Bits for Deep Holes?

I drill 18-20"holes for deep vases. Blind hole!. I use a 2" fostner HF bit set and heavy extensions from Craft supplies. The secret is to be able to sharpen the bits easily and quickly. I use 6" diamond lapidary discs from the cheap web supplier. They appear to be made for sharpening fostner bits and gouges. Many will say this is impossible but I do one weekly.

I use Colt Maxi Cut Forstner Bits with the morse taper holder and extension. These are the best I've used, no set screws or slippage of the extension. These are available from Craft Supplies, Packard Woodworks and others.

My vote is for the Colt Maxi Forestner bits sold by http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...g-bits-maxicut with the biggest selection I have used them for years with out a problem for S & P mills. You will need to keep the hole clean I use a vacuum to remove the chips, and keep the rpms to not more than 500. Some use an air hose to keep the hole free of chips. I use the 1 1/16" for the deep bore and the standard forestner bits for the remainder shallower holes. I bought most of my bits at Woodcraft but the store did not carry all of the supplies so packardwoodworks is the best bet online.

I've been using HF fostner bits with heavy extensions to drill vases 15-20" for years. Any bit will need sharpening--I find the 6" diamond lapidary discs just right for the various angles involved. I minute sharpening. This setup seems to not wander at all.

Mike
    I use a 1"x 17" auger bit for my deep vases, and it works fine. I did NOT grind off the threaded tip, and I feel like it makes drilling much easier. Once I get the bit started in the wood, I release the lock-down for the tailstock and let it advance itself. When I want to stop, I simply lock down the tailstock. This takes some practice and you must have the lathe turning slowly (I prefer 250 RPM or less).

Blog Entries
    I have been useing the colt bits from Packard with great results .smooth cut

Question---does the long auger bit cause any length problems. I use 6" add on extensions to get around this.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Question---does the long auger bit cause any length problems. I use 6" add on extensions to get around this.

Robert,
    I can drill any length up to the capacity of the 17" bit simply by locking down the tailstock when I want to stop the bit from advancing further.