Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After market banjo

Question After market banjo

I am in the market for a replacement banjo for my powermatic 3520b. Both the oneway and Robust look like good options. The oneway is $295.00, haven't gotten a price for the robust yet. I'm liking the design of the oneway better. But haven't used either.

looking for the opinons of fellow Creekers. Thanks and happy holidays. Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Mike, I would go with the Oneway banjo. In fact, I replaced my Robust banjo with one from Oneway. I think that the Oneway banjo is the best one out there.
    Joe

Can't comment on the Oneway - I've used one, but didn't notice anything in particular - good or bad. That's probably a good thing; it evidently held well and got the job done without moving when it wasn't needed yet moved easily when it was. I've been using the Robust going on three years now and can report hat it locks securely, releases smoothly and moves easily.
    One thing that I have noticed is the tool rest locking mechanism. Rather than just a screw mechanism that applies pressure against the post to secure it, Robust uses two clamping blocks to apply pressure to the toolrest post at three points. They are attached to the locking handle and slide into a large hole in the banjo's upright post.
    The real beauty of this system is that, when necessary, the toolrest can be removed, the clamping blocks pull easily from the banjo and can be inserted from either side. A quick way to always have the handle fully accessible yet out of the way. It's a design used on the early Powermatics (when they were made in the USA). Very simple but very strong and secure. It's a small thing - I've had to move mine from side to side on occasion - but it's usually the small things that add up to the whole impression. On the other hand, the Oneway toolrest locking handle is on the outboard side...
    The only banjo I've found to be wanting was the one that came on the Jet 1642 - the clamping mechanism on mine just wasn't up to the challenge for large diameter pieces. It slipped at the worst possible times.

Just curious, but what did you not like about the original Powermatic banjo. When I first got my 3520B I didn't like the off set post but have got use to it. I haven't had and holding problems.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    Mike, I would go with the Oneway banjo. In fact, I replaced my Robust banjo with one from Oneway. I think that the Oneway banjo is the best one out there.
    Joe
    Thanks joe for the reply. What exactly did you not like about the Robust banjo? Also how are the robust rest in combination with the oneway banjo?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    Just curious, but what did you not like about the original Powermatic banjo. When I first got my 3520B I didn't like the off set post but have got use to it. I haven't had and holding problems.
    Fred I have had my powermatic for over 5 years. I absolutely hate the way the tool rest tightens into the banjo. I get a lot of movement when working on larger turnings. Would love a robust ab. Since it's not in the budget. I will replace the banjo.

Jeff thanks for commenting. Someday I'll own a Robust lathe. I'm sure it is of the highest quality.

Another that does not like the 3520 banjo. starting to move often and really have to give it a hit with my palm to lock it. getting tired of it and someday will replace it with one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    The only banjo I've found to be wanting was the one that came on the Jet 1642 - the clamping mechanism on mine just wasn't up to the challenge for large diameter pieces. It slipped at the worst possible times.
    +1 on Jeffrey's Jet 1642 comment. Have noted similar problems with mine.

"The best things in life are not things."

Just a quick couple of thoughts...for you guys that are experiencing movement of the banjo - have you tried adjusting the clamping block slightly? About 1/4 turn (or less) on the nut that holds it is usually all that's needed. Cleaned the underside edges of the ways where the clamp needs to grip? A little wd40 can get rid of excess wax or Boeshield or other dressing for the ways that could get down there and allow the clamp to slip. Cleaned the underside of the banjo - both where it rides along the ways and where the clamping cam and follower hide?
    I know that when a little routine maintenance got done the banjo on my older Jet 1642 would behave a lot better - at least for a while.
    Just thought I'd throw out the obvious.

Mine started slipping a bit--tore it down, cleaned it and used fine sandpaper on the surfaces and seems to work fine now.

On my powermatic the banjo doesn't move. I do all the maintnace to keep it functional. The problem is the way the tool rest clamps in.

Mike, I didn't like the toolrest clamp It seems that I had to spend a lot of time aligning the two clamp blocks to re-insert the tool rest. Also, I didn't like the locking handle for the tool post. I like the fact that the Oneway handles are completely adjustable.YMMV. Good luck with your decision.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    +1 on Jeffrey's Jet 1642 comment. Have noted similar problems with mine.

another +1 - neither the banjo itself nor the hold on the post is stable without what I would consider excessive force on the handle - I've broken the one that holds the post and swapped it for the one from the quill that I replaced with one from Rockler.

I've had similar problems with the Jet 1220 with the banjo moving - that was fixed with an aftermarket washer on the bottom. The contact area was just too small.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I've had little to complain about with the 1642 banjo in 7-8 years of turning hundreds of items of all sizes.