Thread: Show me your wood storage solution.....

Show me your wood storage solution.....

Can you guys post some photos of how you store your turning blanks and other wood in your garage please. I have a lot of turning blanks from 12 inch square down to small 1x1 inch pieces. I am trying to rearrange my garage and looking for some storage ideas you are using in your garages.

Thanks,
    Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

2. That is one of the biggest problems/challenges I have to deal with! Not enough space to process wood like I want to do, and have to store it outside under a tarp, except for smaller pieces, which seem to accumulate more and more. Once I get a spacious shop, I am getting into some segmenting to use up a lot of those small pieces that are just too nice to put into the wood stove!

I will be interested in what the posters show as their solutions to wood storage.......maybe I can glean some ideas!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Mine stays outside under a deck when in log form. After I cut blanks I move it into the garage and pile it where ever there is space. Then down to the basement for rough or final turning. Rough turned bowls are stored on shelves under the basement stairs while they dry.

Well, I did locate two 48 inch square wood bins about 36 inches tall used to store potatoes or onions in a grocery store. Snagged them off craigslist a few days ago. Put them on concrete blocks on the side of the house, filled them up with turning blocks and roughed out bowl blanks and put a tarp over them. But I could fill up another bin worth of blanks so was wanting to see how others stored wood in their garage. I have some ideas but wanted to see if anyone is using a unique solution.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

I use the wire shelves from Home Depot. I have them scattered all over.
    Joe

Jack, there is no best way to do it as once you have them neatly stacked you will allways want the blank on the bottom or right at the back. I use similar to you, we call them pallet bins, a premade wire cage sitting on standard wood pallets for my blanks when drying covered with old roofing iron, then into my shipping containers that are fitted out with narrowed down pallet racking with an aisle up the middle. I use refrigerated shipping containers with whirlybirds on the end to keep the air moving through them. Luckily my MIL has a big rural property and she lets me store them out there.
    rgds,
    Richard.

I bought a couple of lumber racks from Rockler that mount to my garage walls. I bought some cheapo fence boards to act as shelves and use plastic containers for the small stuff. I just stack the bigger stuff. I also have a couple of plastic outdoor cabinets because I have too much "stuff".
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    I use the wire shelves from Home Depot. I have them scattered all over.
    Joe
    I bought a couple of really nice wire shelf units at Costco that would work quite well to store turning blanks. I use mine for all of my power tools, parts containers, etc.. These are heavy duty and hold a lot of stuff.

stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Im actually trying to get more room in my garage shop for actual tools and a bench so was looking to store most of my blanks outside and store only small stuff inside. Guess I will have to stick with a shelving unit inside and find me another bin for outside. My flat boards which there aren't very many I can find some room up near the ceiling to lay flat.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006