Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U or V?

U or V?

Been wanting to pull the trigger on a Thompson bowl gouge for a while now...U or V? That is the question. Whats the difference? Im looking to add/upgrade my arsenal. Anyone use both that can give +, -to either?

2. Quote Originally Posted by jared parson View Post
    Been wanting to pull the trigger on a Thompson bowl gouge for a while now...U or V? That is the question. Whats the difference? Im looking to add/upgrade my arsenal. Anyone use both that can give +, -to either?
    I prefer Thompson's "Jimmy Clewes" V gouge..........the flute resembles the Sorby, which is just a bit wider and allows for chip clearance a little better and I like the grind I can get on it at a 47 degree bevel.

Doug walked me through the selection on this.........I also have his regular V gouge and a big U flute 3/4" bowl gouge, but find that I have not needed that..........I mostly use the 5/8" for large rough outs and the 1/2" for most medium and small size projects.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I was told to buy whatever the person teaching you uses. Im teaching myself so I bought both! Lol I cant give you much info since Im still a beginner and have yet to master the bowl gouge. The U flute is more blunt where the V flute is more swept back. I havnt changed the grind from what Doug sent although he does state that the grind he sends is just a starting point.

I just recently got one of Dougs handles too and its sweet! I cant wait to get my new lathe so I can try it out!

You will not go wrong if you get the V. I find I have more control with the V vs the U. I have never found Doug's V to clog and my favorite is the 5/8V which I use for everything. I use Doug's sharpening design but I make the wings a little longer by going a little farther with the grinding swing. I also take off some steel at the outside bottom of the gouge as to not leave burnishing marks at the transition sites of what ever I happen to be turning.

I have and like the Jimmy Clewes V's which are tight and the larger standard V. I PREFER an elliptical flute which Doug does not market although Lyle Jamieson is also a definite fan of the elliptical and is now selling gouges made exclusively for him by Doug. He states that itis the widest eliptical on the market. Dave's (at D-Way) gouges are elliptical.

The basic difference is in how the wing is ground and the effects. An elliptical flute can have the wing ground straight and still present a curved edge to the wood. A straight sided V must be ground with a slight curve and it is harder to keep that consistent. If a V is ground straight it presents too much cutting edge to the wood all at once. Also an Elliptical typically has a broader nose and cleans itself more. My Clewes' tight Vs require me to constantly knock the chips out of the flute.

To me the U flute is best for down in the bottom of bowls. I rarely use the one I have.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I learned on the V, but have since gone to the U for most of my work. The V is easier, but the U can remove a lot of wood in a hurry. I turn to the V when I need more precise control of the cut. The U goes around the bottom inide corner of a bowl better. Both of my Thompson gouges are 5/8".

The wings on both of them are longer than they were originally. This is not intentional, but because I make a lot of shearing and scraping cuts with the wings, both of which require a fresh edge. Lately, I've been paying more attention and sharpening the tip even when only the wings need touching up, in an effort to get back the original profile.

I'm still on my first V, but recently ordered a replacement for the U because the original is nearing the end of it's life.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I have U, V and some that are in between (parabolic or elliptical), I think the U shape flute works best with a traditional grind (makes a great bottom feeder gouge) and the V shape works best with a swept back grind. If I could have only one bowl gouge, it would have a parabolic or elliptical flute.

Thom is the eliptical flute the same as a the parabolic flute?? Just curious
    always thought Dways, david ellsworths and glenn lucas's gouges were considered parabolic flutes

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    always thought Dways, david ellsworths and glenn lucas's gouges were considered parabolic flutes
    Probably. I've messed with all three and tend to prefer Elliptical/Parabolic. But honestly use all three.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I have and like the Jimmy Clewes V's which are tight and the larger standard V. I PREFER an elliptical flute which Doug does not market although Lyle Jamieson is also a definite fan of the elliptical and is now selling gouges made exclusively for him by Doug. He states that itis the widest eliptical on the market. Dave's (at D-Way) gouges are elliptical.

The basic difference is in how the wing is ground and the effects. An elliptical flute can have the wing ground straight and still present a curved edge to the wood. A straight sided V must be ground with a slight curve and it is harder to keep that consistent. If a V is ground straight it presents too much cutting edge to the wood all at once. Also an Elliptical typically has a broader nose and cleans itself more. My Clewes' tight Vs require me to constantly knock the chips out of the flute.

To me the U flute is best for down in the bottom of bowls. I rarely use the one I have.
    Thom......I have the Clewes and the regular Thompson V in 1/2" ....on that size, the Clewes V is the more open of the two. I spoke with Doug personally by phone when I ordered that one, but got the other at a symposium .... not sure if you & I are speaking of the same "regular V" or not........just noticed we seem to see the flutes differently?
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-05-2015 at 5:25 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Well, I have both, and use both a lot. I do think the standard V from Doug works better if you want a swept back grind when compared to the U. I use the 45/45 grind on both. Since I tend to roll the flutes over almost on their sides when finish cutting, the U has a larger sweet spot. I am playing more with the parabolic flutes in the same 45/45 grinds. This includes D Way and the Lyle Jamieson gouges, plus a couple of older Oneway gouges. The U from Doug does make a good BOB (bottom o bowl) gouge, but I prefer a detail/spindle gouge or one of Doug's fluteless gouges for that.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    I've used the terms interchangeably. Since only a small part of the curve is cut (if parabolic it would be infinite) it is hard to really tell. I've seen the term elliptical used more often recently, I think because more people understand what an ellipse is.

I suppose we would have to know who makes the bits used to cut the flute and ask them to know for sure.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks all...lots of good input here. I'm leaning towards the V for now, but might just have to get one of each!

I have more gouges than I care for my bride to read about here. My take---The U is better for forward or nose cutting and the V is a better for irish grind wing cutting. Both will do a good job depending on how they re ground. Buy both!

I have way too many gouges--the U cuts better on a nose or forward cut and the V does a great irish grind or side cut. Sell a bowl and buy both. Both do either well depending on the grind you use.