Thread: Hefty, Quality Steady Rest

Hefty, Quality Steady Rest

Here's one. I had to bite the bullet and spend some $$ to get it. The PSI one that I was using just was insufficient. I thought about making my own, but then saw Carl Jacobson demo this one. I was having to re-chuck this chalice every few minutes with the PSI steady rest. Obviously it just wasn't designed for something this size. No catches yet and I turned for about a half hour on it today. This puppy is beefy and very steady as one would expect. Of course it stays in place quite well, too. I got this from Steve at Absolute Metals via Ebay. Before I got it, I was ready to just forget this project and go on to something else. I'm sure this steady rest will work quite well for vases also. I'm including a couple of pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Sounds like a chucking problem???

Looks similar to the Nichols style rest - same basic construction using a flange ring. I made one a while back for the AB and it is really stable. I have found that if you're close to the finished surface on the outside, a layer of masking tape where the wheels hit is a good idea.
    Have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Sounds like a chucking problem???
    Maybe some before. I would always put the tailstock back and re-tighten the chuck. This time so far, so good.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Thanks, Jeff. Today, I'm going to try and use my flat top tool rest. Been using my rounded side scraper and round carbide cutter. This wood is really hard so it's baby steps for me. Wish I had more experience with larger stuff. Been doing pens and other small stuff too long.
    Project Salvager