Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carcass saw as a dovetail saw?

carcass saw as a dovetail saw?

So I'm just getting ready to build the tail vise for my bench (maybe a week or two) from the veritas metal hardware (the same thing that Chris Griggs used for his workbench 2.0). I think I've finally figured out how to put that together and it is clear that I'll be dovetailing a pretty thick piece for the front. I think it may be "deeper" than a normal dovetail saw will reach. So that means a deeper saw, like a carcass saw - something that has a something more than 2" under the back. However, in looking at the carcass saws, the LN are all filed crosscut. I could order one from Bad Axe that is rip or their hybrid filing, but that is about 1.8x the cost of the LN saw. The veritas "molded spine" backsaws are the least expensive of the bunch and they have a rip option, but they look a bit weird and I'm a bit unsure that I'll like them.

I don't have anything to compare it to as my only backsaw at this point is a (really fantastic) Bad Axe sash saw that I picked up for some large tenons at a show where I was chatting with Mark about some things he was working on and I had a bonus burning a hole in my pocket. I hate asking for opinions on these things since what you like is what you like and I may like something different, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Go with the Veritas and if I hate it chalk it up to an $80 learning experience? Keep saving my pennies (lots and lots of pennies) for the Bad Axe? Someone have another vendor that I should check out?

Jeff.

LN makes a rip carcass saw which I have and use as a dovetail saw. Highly recommended.
    Don

I have the Veritas dovetail saw. It doesn't look like the classical back/dovetail saw, but it is very comfortable and cuts beautifully. I would have no hesitation about getting the Veritas carcass or tenon saw in rip configuration. Pretty tools are great, but so is any tool that is both comfortable and works well.

Blog Entries
    My original 'dovetail' saw was a Disston back saw from the 1950s or '60s.

Yes, it is nice to have a saw made specifically for a function, but it is possible to do the job with a less than perfect saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I've had to cut many abnormally large dovetails in the past. I've used many different saws for dovetails - Bad Axe hybrid, LV rip carcass, Dozuki, Glen Drake Dovetail, and LV Dovetail. They all worked great. I was pleasantly surprised how much I likes the LV saws. In some ways I actually prefer the larger saws to traditional dovetail saws.

Pick one and get going.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Happy New Year, Jim. My first dovetail saw was my grandfather's 12" Disston #4, circa 1940s....Ugly wood! I have added the Veritas DT & XC saws to the till but still use that #4 for larger DTs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dalzell View Post
    I have the Veritas dovetail saw. It doesn't look like the classical back/dovetail saw, but it is very comfortable and cuts beautifully. I would have no hesitation about getting the Veritas carcass or tenon saw in rip configuration. Pretty tools are great, but so is any tool that is both comfortable and works well.
    +1. What Dave said.

Tools for working wood makes a great carcass saw and can be had in xcut or rip.

Why wouldn't your sash saw do the job? I don't own one so I'm curious. I read Shannon's article on obtaining your first saw, a carcass, but I came away thinking whatever saw you've got should do fine with some tweaking on your technique. The article is on the Reniassance Wood Worker blog http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com...ich-saw-first/.

My two pennies

Don't worry about whether it's filed crosscut or rip. Either will do the job. For a low cost solution, get a Dozuki.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

LN big O' carcass saws

AhhhhhhThaseasy!

We are watching the movie After The Thin Man with Nick and Nora (and Asta)
    but took a break to put the pizzas in the oven so may as well have a look in here (about three hours until fire works on Pikes Peak) . . .

File’er rip
    I did
    Love it.

Meet the twins
    One cross cut, one rip. Hard to tell them apart. Unless you look real close.

(or you could cheat and use your band saw) (like Frank Klausz did)

Naaaaaahhhhhhh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Hmmm.... I can't find it. The only two carcass saws they have are the "carcass saw" and "tapered carcass saw" and both are filed crosscut.

The sash saw probably would. It is a bit big, but I could make it work. I thought this might be a good opportunity to get a carcass saw and thought it might be a bit easier with the carcass over the sash.

Blog Entries
    Of course not!

Why do you think we need one of each in our saw till?

I have two LN carcass saws. One is crosscut and the other is rip. LN used to make both.

As customer friendly as LN is, I suspect if you called them and talked to them, you could get a rip carcass saw.

Actually, I would present your question to them if I were you.

Blog Entries
    Happy New Year Tom!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)