Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirka Ceros Review

Try the Deros model, brand new, no inverter, and only $1500.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Kelby, I appreciate your review. Yours is not the first one I have read about that has failed and these are the kind of things I like to know before I buy a tool. The logic of not writing a review because it failed so soon escapes me. If I was to put a new roof on someones house and it leaked would they feel the same way?

I appreciate the review even though I don't agree with the decision to return the unit and abandon the concept. I had a similar experience with a festool sander, though the details were a bit embarrassing. I was working with my the son of my boss on a cabinet job out of his shop, we were using a dynabrade sander when it seized up, largely I think due to the compressor being under sized and wet air in the lines. Point is air system was bad, we needed sanding back on line quick so just getting another dynabrade was out. I suggested the Ceros as a solution, he didn't want to make the investment at that time, next stop festool 125. I picked him one up, mine has always been flawless. Darn thing was shot brand new. Something was wrong with the planetary action, didn't spin right, swirled real bad, barely sanded. He used it for two hours before asking "is yours like this?". I used it for 12 seconds....certainly not! So now I look like an idiot, run home, get my 5 year old well used model, use that to finish the job. First two minutes and my young associate says "oh, now I get it! ". The original was returned and replaced with a new unit that has I'm told worked flawlessly since. More of an annoying blip than a show stopper, I have not sworn off festool, I've just realized that even they are human. Humans with a no questions asked return policy and great CS. I get the bad feelings regarding your experience, it's no way to start a relationship, only one first impression they say. And there is nothing wrong with dynabrade, great tools if you have the right compressor. But I'd guess your experience was far more of an exception than the rule.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    You got a lemon. It happens.

Mine had an electrical issue after 2 1/2 years. Still under warranty, they repaired it. I got a loaner from my supplier while it was gone. Nearly no down time. Lots of hours on the sander in that 2 1/2 years. Very happy with it otherwise. I'd certainly buy it again. Sanding sucks and this makes it a bit better.
    Those of us who use mostly hand planes and scrapers are still tempted by this tool...I have used it and it is a sweet piece.

I hope it was the exception, bought one of those too on the 31st.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    What feeder and tooling are you looking at for your shaper?
    Whoops, wrong thread.. ;-)

My Ceros has been flawless - it is one of my more expensive tools that I have no regrets about buying, at all.

My philosophy is if something fails within the first 30 days - it is going back to the vendor. I am not going to try to fix it myself or call the manufacturer.

In the case of the Ceros, I would have asked for a replacement, but to each his own and I could understand how someone may have been 'scared off'

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    ONLY $1500.00.......PLaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Mmmm....EBAY shows it for ~$600 excluding shipping (from Europe).
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Mmmm....EBAY shows it for ~$600 excluding shipping (from Europe).
    I saw that! The new Deros really hasn't been introduced to USA yet...... Coming soon in January 2015. There has been some anticipation. We have a whole month, yet.

I agree with you, I wouldn't put up with that either. Over the holiday, we bought the kids a new Nintendo Wii U. It came out of the box unable to read any game disc. I found that out after a 90-minute upgrade cycle and was not at all pleased. I got on the phone to Nintendo, they were unable to fix it over the phone and told me to return it for warranty repair that would take 3-6 weeks. Instead I took it back to the store and returned it for a new one that worked fine out of the box. It isn't that I wasn't sure that Nintendo wouldn't fix it (actually, they won't, they'll just send you a refurbished one, which I don't want, I bought new, I want new), I just don't want them to take the time to fix something that I bought now.

The other day a buddy of mine asked if he could come by and make a bunch of exterior window casings in my shop because his heat wasn't working in his. Of course I told him to come by.

Well at the end of the day when he was done building the casings he needed to sand them. He was going to get he Rigid RO sander to do the job, he had it out in his van. I told him don't bother and handed him my Ceros with a couple of 120 grit discs.

Within 10 seconds he was already overwhelmed on how good it was. He loved it. After he finished up the 13 casings he made the comment at how aggressive it was and that it left no swirl marks. Over all I think he got his pants impressed right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    The other day a buddy of mine asked if he could come by and make a bunch of exterior window casings in my shop because his heat wasn't working in his. Of course I told him to come by.

Well at the end of the day when he was done building the casings he needed to sand them. He was going to get he Rigid RO sander to do the job, he had it out in his van. I told him don't bother and handed him my Ceros with a couple of 120 grit discs.

Within 10 seconds he was already overwhelmed on how good it was. He loved it. After he finished up the 13 casings he made the comment at how aggressive it was and that it left no swirl marks. Over all I think he got his pants impressed right off.

I've seen that same experience at work. New job, they were having swirling issues, I keep pushing for an upgrade to Ceros sanders, sold the powers that be on them. I watched each guy use one for the first time....that look of pleasant disbelief comes over the face, they keep stopping just to look at it, can't belief how easy they are to control. Four months in nobody will even pick up another sander...when a Ceros is not available they just wait and do something else until it is. And every guy with a home shop wants one for home!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Funny thing is after you use it for so long you forget how slow other sanders are. And it seems like the sander isn't performing like it use to. hen you pick up a normal sander and you realize that it's working just fine.