Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purpleheart Platter

Beautiful, Tim! I love the way you've used different shades of the maple to give the star a three-dimensional look. Very impressive.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Your segmenting looks great. It is hard to even find a seam in the purpleheart.

As you asked for critique, purely on a construction basis, I hope that it stays together for you. There is absolutely no place for the wood to move. If the middle expands at all, then cracks will develop. If it tries to shrink, there is no place to go and it will simply break apart. I am sure you will hear from people that have done this and nothing ever happened to it, but just because you drive 100 mph down the freeway and don't have a wreck, doesn't mean that it is the best thing to do. Just my $.02.
    Hey Robert,

No doubt the concerns of movement have merit, I get caught up in the "design" process and often never consider the potential for expansion / contraction.

Thank you for your comments, how would you place an allowence for movement into a similar piece?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Normally, I am not a big fan of segmented work, but I like this one! Excellent!!
    I find your comment interesting. Most of our turning club members heckle our only segment turner, but I think it is very beautiful such as this Purple Heart piece. Most of our club members turn natural wood and then embellish the turned piece. I think both methods are equally artistic; in fact any turned piece is artistic regardless of skill level because it is a reflection of the individual’s current state of interpretation, and skills.

By the way Tim your platter really is excellent.

I think you did really good on a very difficult design! Have no idea about combating expansion/shrinkage in segmented pieces, so can only hope it holds together for you! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

In the future, you are not allowed to critique your own work. Perfect is not a term we use very often especially when we inlay light wood on dark. Every imperfect (that word is allowed) alignment stands out. I like the way the middle portion looks three dimensional. Nice platter.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I think you did really good on a very difficult design! Have no idea about combating expansion/shrinkage in segmented pieces, so can only hope it holds together for you! Nice work!
    Hey Steve,

Over the years I've had little to no movement issues or subsequent damage, this is not to suggest I've followed the design recommendations of those whose I've followed and learned from.... perhaps it's a matter of climate. Regardless, I hope it stays together. I think it will.

Thanks for your thoughts and all the others that have posted. I'm delighted to read and enjoy the feedback!!

Tim