Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Restoration - Powermatic 66

Great thread. Thanks for posting your step-by-step progress.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nicely done David. It's finally home to Papa. My 66 has the same Incra miter gauge. BTW your Youtube link has been truncated and doesn't work. Would love to see you playing a Koa Takamine!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Nicely done David. It's finally home to Papa. My 66 has the same Incra miter gauge. BTW your Youtube link has been truncated and doesn't work. Would love to see you playing a Koa Takamine!

Doug
    Thanks, Doug!

Ah, did not realize that link was no good. I'll take it out of my signature. Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...4AJEp6qHC7C44A. We just posted an old song, Power In The Blood, but the drums and bass were too loud (I can't do anything about how it sounds out front but it sounded right in our monitors). We're doing an original song this Sunday and I'll post it, assuming I don't mess up the finger picking! Subscribe and you'll get the new ones as we put them up (we only do about one a month).

Thanks on the 66!! It's a great saw and an equally good miter gauge.
    Last edited by David Falkner; 01-07-2015 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Wrong link for our YouTube channel - this one is right (ending in 44A)
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Schafer View Post
    Well done! It's just like a bought one
    Thanks, Dale! It came out well and I've had a couple of guys over who commented on my 'new' saw. Makes ya' feel all teary eyed, don't it! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Great thread. Thanks for posting your step-by-step progress.

Mike
    Thanks, Mike. I probably take too many photos when I work on something but that's just part of my enjoyment. Glad you liked it!
    David

David,

Great restoration! I like the black color. I have a Powermatic 14" bandsaw, and have never been all that crazy about the color. I actually think Powermatic should have kept the black color, maybe as an option, that they used on the anniversary editions a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    David,

Great restoration! I like the black color. I have a Powermatic 14" bandsaw, and have never been all that crazy about the color. I actually think Powermatic should have kept the black color, maybe as an option, that they used on the anniversary editions a couple years ago.
    Thanks, Lee. I sort of developed tunnel vision while doing this and realized well into it that I had sort of followed the Anniversary Edition theme. I like the look, especially when it's clean. I knew it would but it definitely shows dust!
    David

Great thread, but..... what happened to the jointer??????
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Same process, almost. Turned out the motor was good and I chose not to sandblast/repaint. I put a new link belt, new balanced cast iron pulleys, sharpened the knives, new bearings in the cutterhead, and set the tables to coplanar.

It started out like this -
    Delta DJ-15 - rusted.jpg

And now it's like this -
    Delta DJ-15 - finished.jpg

It's so smooth I set a nickel on the outfeed table, started the jointer, jointed a board, shut it down, and the nickel never fell. Then I bought a PM 54a, so the Delta is for sale.
    David

Wow David-that is one impressive restoration job. Congratulations on resurecting a wonderful tool and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Wow David-that is one impressive restoration job. Congratulations on resurecting a wonderful tool and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
    Thanks, Don! It is a good tool and was fun to restore.
    David