Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air pressure line run

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    PVC has been mentioned twice as being unsuitable, but no reasons were given. The pipe may be rated for 600psi for water use. The typical usage is buried. The white PVC eventually becomes brittle after exposure to sunlight. Failures result in a burst seam and a water leak.

Failures in PVC air lines are much more dramatic. A split seam results in all the energy from the compressed air getting released through one focal point. It can explode and send PVC shrapnel everywhere. Using it for air is potentially lethal.

Many people talk about using it for 20 years without failure. This may be true, but I would really start to worry about an old installation where sunlight through a window could be slowly making portions of the pipe very brittle.

Steve
    I've heard and read a ton of articles on this. One thing I havent heard anyone suggest is installing the PVC air lines in a location that is not exposed to direct sunlight, imagine right underneath the workbench counter. I've got a old barn that I am in the process of renovating into a woodshop and along my long wall I have a full length work bench that has my miter and RAS integrated into it. I'd like to run air to locations along this (as well as dust collection). The ideal and least invasive way is under the counter with "drops" projecting through the top. I want to be save and will likely run copper, but I wanted to pose the question...

So if the PVC lines are protected from sunlight, does the same explosive characteristic exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Coffelt View Post
    I've heard and read a ton of articles on this. One thing I havent heard anyone suggest is installing the PVC air lines in a location that is not exposed to direct sunlight, imagine right underneath the workbench counter. I've got a old barn that I am in the process of renovating into a woodshop and along my long wall I have a full length work bench that has my miter and RAS integrated into it. I'd like to run air to locations along this (as well as dust collection). The ideal and least invasive way is under the counter with "drops" projecting through the top. I want to be save and will likely run copper, but I wanted to pose the question...

So if the PVC lines are protected from sunlight, does the same explosive characteristic exist?
    I'd say yes. Imagine accidently whacking one with a board when its cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I'd say yes. Imagine accidently whacking one with a board when its cold.
    Agreed, but seeing how we are all wood workers here, couldnt a "safety cage" be made to contain the lines and therefore eliminate the accidental whacking? Maybe (2) 1x's nailed perpendicular to each other and secured around the tube?

Again, I'm more playing devil's advocate here. At some point it is more cost effective to run black/copper/pex. But for larger shops with larger runs, the PVC with a shield may be more cost effective???

Agreed, but seeing how we are all wood workers here, couldnt a "safety cage" be made to contain the lines and therefore eliminate the accidental whacking? Maybe (2) 1x's nailed perpendicular to each other and secured around the tube?

Again, I'm more playing devil's advocate here. At some point it is more cost effective to run black/copper/pex. But for larger shops with larger runs, the PVC with a shield may be more cost effective???
    I'm sure you could, but why not just use a PEX type plastic then? I'm a steel pipe advocate because it is easy, self supporting, and pretty idiot proof. With enough fiddling, practically anything would work probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I'm sure you could, but why not just use a PEX type plastic then? I'm a steel pipe advocate because it is easy, self supporting, and pretty idiot proof. With enough fiddling, practically anything would work probably.
    Good point Steve. Would you use black pipe over copper? I was planning on installing copper to avoid 50 trips to the store to get various smaller lengths of black pipe to make all the proper length connections... Probably use black pipe when I do my farm shed since I am less picky about where the outlets go in there, but the wood shop is another story.

Good point Steve. Would you use black pipe over copper? I was planning on installing copper to avoid 50 trips to the store to get various smaller lengths of black pipe to make all the proper length connections... Probably use black pipe when I do my farm shed since I am less picky about where the outlets go in there, but the wood shop is another story.
    Lol, you can certainly wear a path to the store. My approach is to just get more of everything than you think you'll need, and return the leftovers. Make sure the store is ok with it first of course... Black pipe is just as easy to work with as copper if you have two tools, a good cutter and a threader and a pipe vise. I recommend Rigid hand powered for both. They can be rented or bought for around 300 or so for the pair.

Around here copper is a lot more expensive then black pipe. Soldering is fun though!

I just ran a line 260 ft from one shop to another using aluminum air compressor pipe and push together fittings. Similar to the rapid air system. I have air in two shops with 6 drops and a reel. Look into the Rapid air line or call your local Parker dealer for their line. Much easier than copper, better than black pipe, because it doesn't corrode. Look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Christensen View Post
    I just ran a line 260 ft from one shop to another using aluminum air compressor pipe and push together fittings. Similar to the rapid air system. I have air in two shops with 6 drops and a reel. Look into the Rapid air line or call your local Parker dealer for their line. Much easier than copper, better than black pipe, because it doesn't corrode. Look into it.
    I saw something similar at Fastenal, didn't notice the brand but it very well could have been the same stuff. Easy to source something from Fastenal.

Blog Entries
    One idea not mentioned, is to add a second pressure tank as an accumulator at the end of a long run. This set up will take longer to initially fill, but you will have reserve volume to meet peak demands that ordinarily cannot be supplied through a single long distance line. By connecting your device any where in between the compressor tank and the accumulator tank you get air flow from both directions when demand is high so pressure drops become a much smaller concern.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That is a good viable idea. It also has the fringe benefit that it can back feed the earlier drops as well. A two for one!