Thread: portamate router p254 Review?

portamate router p254 Review?

Does anyone have experience with this portamate router p254? To make a very long story short, I have been through 4 defective PC75812 routers (great customer service, bad batch of routers...tons of runout) and am looking for non dewalt / PC options for my bench dog lift.

This router looks like a clone but is relatively new...anyone tried it yet?

Old thread, but has anything else surfaced about the Portamate motor? Can't find much of substance in the way of reviews.

I'm setting up a new Woodpeckers table and fence, probably the Jessem lift, and will be buying a suitable motor for it. I know the PC 7518 bearing problems are somewhat dated, but they still make me leary. I contacted Woodpeckers, cause they sell the Portamate, and about all they would tell me is that they've only been selling them for a couple months, haven't had any complaints or returns, and that they're "comparable" to the PC 7518. To me, the fact that WP is selling it at least suggests that it's not junk.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Do not know about the portamate.
    But would like to know when you had the 4 bad 7518's.
    Would say that the Milwaukee 5625 and DW 625 are both powerful reliable machines. They lived without compromise until stolen. And the thieves have a pair of great routers now. Even the Elu 3337/8 I have, (25 years old) is still working with its original stuff.

Pat,

I didn't personally have any bad PC 7518s. The problem was discussed in the Router Forums, I believe, back in 2015, but I could be misremembering. There are a couple of reviews from that time frame on Amazon, posted by people who were using them commercially and having problems related to bearings.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...le+7518+router

I know a lot of people here and elsewhere swear by the PC, and I don't have a problem paying for one. But I don't have a local dealer I can turn to if I have problems a few months from now, and as more and more of these companies are no longer themselves, but part of a conglomerated mess, it gives me pause buying based on past reputation.

Sorry if I'm ranting.

I have a new one, running x 7 months, no problems. Has the insulated casting. Made in Mexico.

The issues the 7518 had for a while are pretty well documented but they seem to have subsided. I would personally still buy a 7518 over a new cheaper copy BUT I have no personal bad experience with the big PC.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks, guys. Guess I'll go with the Porter Cable.

I’ve had my 7518 for 30 years now without a problem!