Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miter bars for jigs and fixtures

I just got the new issue of WOOD Magazine today in the mail. The front cover shows "5 Must have Jigs from Plywood". One project is a sled. Sure they will have tips to help you out if you are a subscriber.
    I have not looked at that issue yet so can't say what info is in it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    It has been six plus years and my UHMW runners still fits the slot perfectly:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=RUNNER
    That's what I typically use for mine, I ended up making some hardwood runners for a crosscut sled, it works fantastic in the summer but in the winter, the runners swell and won't fit into the miter slots. I need to go grab some more UHMW stock and replace them, what I have on hand isn't long enough.

Another vote for cold rolled steel..... bought a 20 foot piece locally, and now I never hesitate to make a custom jig for whatever.

Lornie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Copas View Post
    If your miter bar is too loose you can center punch dimples on one side to make it bigger. Start with small dimples until it starts to fit snug through out the length. If it is too snug it might be a good time to meet a friendly machinist.
    The dimple method works, but tends to wear quickly. I purchased some UHMW tape that is a few thousandths of an inch thick and I apply a layer of that to the side of my miter bar and get a perfect friction free fit with no side play. The advantage is the entire length of the miter gauge bar gets slightly thicker, not just random spots. It lasts for years and is easily replaced if damaged.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I make mine out of plywood. I rip,plane, and drum sand them to a perfect fit, then wax the bajezus out of them. Then I wax them some more.
    -Lud

Thanks for the tip. For the benefit of anyone interested, that would be the March 2015 Issue, #231.