Thread: Which One, Jet OES-80CS vs Grizzly G0563 Oscillating Edge Sanders?

Which One, Jet OES-80CS vs Grizzly G0563 Oscillating Edge Sanders?

Thought I had made my decision, but I can't get this other one off my mind. I like the cost of the Jet of course, but the Griz looks a little more substantial, however that might not be the case. They seem to operate similarly, but I haven't been able to find a youtube on the Griz. Help!

Blog Entries
    I can't say any more than I did in the other thread. I have the Jet and it does the job. If I were going to do it again I would go with the Grizzly but, it is half again as much so you have to be able to justify that. The Jet runs smoothly, belt changes and alignment are easy, the base offers minimal storage but, I do toss the end roller table accessory in there as I never use it since it is a kludge. I was worried about the horsepower but, have never done anything that even begins to cause this machine to load down. I am happy to have it.

The Grizzly offers more power, better dust collection options, a spindle table you could probably leave in place, multiple spindles [non-oscillating], better table raising mechanism [in that it actually has one], better tilt lock mechanism [screw-down versus cam-lock] and so forth. All these things cost money. As to whether it is money well spent for what you need, only you can decide.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    considering the size belt and machine either is fine. Go with best price...

I haven't seen either of them, but I have heard...
    The Jet doesn't really oscillate, it just varies the belt tracking so the sandpaper goes up and down a bit. On the Grizzly the whole thing oscillates.
    Back when I was shopping, I was told the Jet wasn't very effective. So I bought the non-oscillating Grizzly; I am happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    The Jet doesn't really oscillate, it just varies the belt tracking so the sandpaper goes up and down a bit. On the Grizzly the whole thing oscillates.
    Back when I was shopping, I was told the Jet wasn't very effective. So I bought the non-oscillating Grizzly; I am happy with it.
    Does it matter how it oscillates?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Does it matter how it oscillates?
    The Grizzly weighs 50% more, has a 33% more powerful motor, and a 50% larger oscillation.
    Bear in mind that the Jet belt is fighting the platen, while the Grizzly belt is oscillating with the platen.
    It would be incredible if the Grizzly didn't work better than the Jet; but I haven't tried either, so I am just relying on common sense and what I have heard.

I have experience with neither as well, but all I've read and seen in vids shows the Jet has plenty of power for the job...not one has said it is lacking power. Problems, if there are any, seem to be with how well the machine adjusts. I'd like to hear from those who actually have these machines who can give their feedback. No offense, as it looks to me as well that the Griz is a beefier machine, but looks can be deceiving.

The Shop Fox W1688 is $999 on Amazon right now.

I think oscillation on an edge sander is highly overrated. I have an older Acme 4 x 50 sander that doesn't oscillate and don't have any problems with the finish quality. I generally have the table angled somewhat to take advantage of the entire width of the belt when doing edge or end work; I only level it out on the rare occasion when I need the entire belt width. I generally keep an 80 grit belt on it, but change to a 60 if I need to remove a lot of stock, or 100 for final finishing.

An edge sander is one of those tools that's the last tool you may buy for your collection, but it's also the last one you will want to get rid of once you have used one a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Wade, perhaps you may have been reviewing a different Grizzly Oscillating Edge Sander........ it is my understanding that on this Grizzly G0653, only the belt oscillates. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think not!
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 01-03-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    The Shop Fox W1688 is $999 on Amazon right now.

I think oscillation on an edge sander is highly overrated. I have an older Acme 4 x 50 sander that doesn't oscillate and don't have any problems with the finish quality. I generally have the table angled somewhat to take advantage of the entire width of the belt when doing edge or end work; I only level it out on the rare occasion when I need the entire belt width. I generally keep an 80 grit belt on it, but change to a 60 if I need to remove a lot of stock, or 100 for final finishing.

An edge sander is one of those tools that's the last tool you may buy for your collection, but it's also the last one you will want to get rid of once you have used one a while.
    Not overrated. Just eliminates the need to bevel the table as you do. If you keep it flat, chances are to will get a burn. Oscillating eliminates this mostly unless too aggressive. Hard to do circles on a beveled table.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Wade, perhaps you may have been reviewing a different Grizzly Oscillating Edge Sander........ it is my understanding that on this Grizzly G0653, only the belt oscillates. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think not!
    Hmm... either they changed it since I shopped two years ago or I was confused then. Still, it is a lot more machine than the Jet, though it is also much more expensive.

I didn't mean the Jet wouldn't do a good job; my non-oscillating Grizzly is much less expensive than the Jet and does a good job.

If you are thinking about it that hard then you really want the Grizzly. If you have the funds buy it. That way you never have that thought in the back of your head. BTDT. If I had the money, I would have bought the Grizzly instead of the Jet. I'm in the camp that the oscillating function is really really nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    If you are thinking about it that hard then you really want the Grizzly. If you have the funds buy it. That way you never have that thought in the back of your head. BTDT. If I had the money, I would have bought the Grizzly instead of the Jet. I'm in the camp that the oscillating function is really really nice to have.
    See,that's the thing. They both seem to use the same type of oscillating mechanism. The extra $600+shipping gets you more weight, a little more power and stationary spindles. Wish I could have the two machines side by side. Size is also an issue as my vehicle will be sliding past it against the garage wall. Closer to the wall the better.

Every time I get a new machine, I always somehow end up with the most expensive and feature packed of the choices and this time is no exception. I just ordered the Grizzlies. I'm hoping it will fit in the spot I have for it and I'm sure I won't regtret my choice. Thanks for all the help. I'll post when I get it up and sanding.